Dead Space

• 2 Replies

Lardman

Dead Space
« on: April 04, 2015, 17:58 »
I've finally managed to find 5 minutes to dig over in front of the greenhouse, next door has been sold (again) so whatever I do may be disturbed if the new people use the garden, thinks fences are a good idea or just don't like the look of scrap metal  ::)

The area there is about 4'x12', the tins along the right are next doors "fence", they're leaning badly perhaps a foot into the garden but I can't straighten them they're buried 2ft down with soil piled behind them.

I've tried to level the soil this side to reduce the drop off there was and reclaim some more usable space.

There's about 6" difference from the bottom slabs to the slab in front of the greenhouse. I have more of the yorkstone to build steps at the tier as the difference is around another 10". The rest of the greenhouse sides have limestone chippings around.

The only thing I can come up with is is to extend the wall on the left until the end of the first slope and then continue with more chippings.  I just can't see a way of dealing with the slope or supporting anything (like steps) on the right hand side.

Before I took the spade to it, the area was a grass slope and was treacherous when wet or muddy.

Open to any suggestions... but the budget is virtually none-existent.
more_dead_space.jpg

Markw

• Experienced Member
Re: Dead Space
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 20:36 »
Hi Lardman
Is this used for access to get to your chickens?. if so I would put a small wall to the same height as the top of the red brick wall where the slabs finish and  then back fill it with some more earth from further up the slope to make it level. then put in another small  step further back up the slope. that should make it much safer.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Lardman

Re: Dead Space
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 21:21 »
It's the main access to the garden as such has very high foot traffic, if you look behind the sick mint in the black pot you can just make out a chicken at the end of their run, supervising  :D

I did consider another step but there's a big hole on the right where the wall ends (I've wedged a slab down there) Im not sure I could build anything stable enough to support a step  :unsure: but it would get me 18" further back and 6" higher...  I may have to revisit the idea.

(If I had the time / money / energy I would rebuild both the left and right walls and do it properly  :nowink:  )

xx
What to do with this space?

Started by dmg on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 00:37
by Paul Plots
clip
Tool storage space shelving, design and build

Started by Subversive_plot on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2021, 11:20
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.