Polytunnel flooring

• 10 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Polytunnel flooring
« on: July 15, 2014, 23:41 »
I don't intend to plant things in the borders of the polytunnel but will be using pots instead. I am not sure what to use on the floor. I have a slab path down the middle and gravel in the borders in my greenhouses but as the polytunnel is so much bigger I am thinking this will be expensive.
We have a regular delivery of woodchips on our site and I wondered if they would be ok to use either in the path or the borders.

What does every other polytunnel owner use?

Gryphon

Re: Polytunnel flooring
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:49 »
This is my first season with a poly-tunnel and I used a membrane covered in wood chips. The chips on the areas most walked on have become crushed and splintered in a few months. As I  purchased the wood chips I am planning to change the paths to slabs next year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:08 »
Just wondering why you won't be planting in the soil?

Thought that was the point of a polytunnel - growing in the soil as normal, but with improved conditions ?

Ma Lowe

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:17 »
Just wondering why you won't be planting in the soil?

Thought that was the point of a polytunnel - growing in the soil as normal, but with improved conditions ?

I thought it might be too much faff especially when you have to dig it out and replenish the soil and I am very accident prone so digging inside could result in a fruit cage instead of a polytunnel with all the holes I may make  :D

To be honest I haven't really thought mush about the planting as this year everything is already in pots and there is still a bit to do in the tunnel before I can do any planting but I will rethink my strategy  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 10:50 »
I've been growing my tomatoes and chillies plus other bits in the tunnel since 2006 Ma.  In the ground.  Each year I chuck a load of chicken poo over it and sometimes, stuff from the compost heap, when I can get to it. 

You can rotate a bit in a tunnel just like outside really.  I've grown potatoes, leeks, cucumbers, melons, even a few brassicas when I had too many one year! lol

Brian even went in there with the rotavator to dig it over for me a few times!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:52 »
The flooring between the raised beds in my tunnel that's worked well for me over the last 4 or 5 years is weed-protective membrane covered by about 2 inches of pea gravel

snow white

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:22 »
I plant things in the soil and rotate crops.  I add compost a couple of times a year.  I do have a few pots but it is a FAFF having to water sometimes twice a day.  I water the plants in soil two or three times a week in summer.  It is also where I sow seeds and grow on.  My pt is only two by three metres.  All is good  far.  This is my second growing season.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 18:04 »
Today hubby laid the slabs for the path down the middle then put wood slats along the edge. We decided to give it a go growing in the soil in the polytunnel so a friend rotivated each side for us. As said above I can rotate the crops so we will divide the beds I to 4. It's all looking good in there now, can't wait to get my first crop sown/planted in there   :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 18:06 »
That makes more sense to me  :D

Ma Lowe

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 18:17 »
That makes more sense to me  :D

I was obviously having a blonde moment Mum but never fear common sense has come through  :D

archibtbm

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 15:01 »
First year with a PT, I've put tomato plants down the centre, chillies\peppers down one side in pots and cucumbers, melons and salad stuff on the other side.  Did not put anything on the floor as I thought it would give slugs a hiding place

xx
Old Laminate Flooring

Started by mocphatvn on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post June 06, 2022, 09:39
by mumofstig
xx
Old Laminate Flooring

Started by Riverbecameroad on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 02:35
by Riverbecameroad
xx
OSB V TONGUE &GROOVE FLOORING

Started by kopjules on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 20:01
by Pete C
question
Polytunnel help please!!

Started by Goldfinger on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 10:30
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 36 queries.