blooming drainage

• 4 Replies

dan808

blooming drainage
« on: February 03, 2013, 19:50 »
Hey guys.  Iv been checking how deep my top soil is over the plot so dug multiple holes all around  about 1ft deep but the next day I noticed that a few had completely filled with water an it has not rained for 5 days. My plot is on a bit of a slope and surprisingly the ones that have filled are at the top  :blink: is this a sign of bad drainage
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  :-) :-)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: blooming drainage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 20:49 »
Yes, that is a sign of waterlogging, but then again the levels of water tables throughout most of the UK are higher now than for many years.

If your plot is new to you it's hopefully too early to worry unduly about it now, although I'm sure that neighbouring plotholders will be able to give you a clearer idea as to whether there has been an issue there over the longer term (and also what they have done to overcome it.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

dan808

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 20:55 »
I would like to say that other plot holders could advise a little but unfortunately the majority just rear livestock. So a little stuck on that but I am thinking of putting a soak away pit or two on the plot would this help

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 21:49 »
A soak away only works if the ground water table is below the bottom of it - and why people put them in clay god only knows - what do they line ponds and canals with clay because it holds water unless there are sand lenses or a service trench for the water to follow.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:46 »
Adding grit and organic matter will improve drainage no end. Our plot was solid river silt, clay and flints when we took it over.

Low raised beds (9ins tall), plus adding the above the the soil ( and taking out flints  ;) ) means we have something decent in most beds now.

With a four year rotattion, I have seriously tackled each bed twice -- once as it became roots and second when it became potatoes.

After three years you can really see the difference in those beds that have only had one 'makeover', so it is well worth the effort.

Also, if you are making raised beds you can level the soil a bit in each, by slightly terracing them.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Drainage

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2007, 08:58
by Heifer73
xx
Drainage

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 00:04
by woodburner
xx
Drainage

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 19:08
by Learnerlady
xx
crocks drainage

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 21:25
by shaun

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 32 queries.