help - with DIY hen house

• 7 Replies

mumof4

« on: May 05, 2008, 15:40 »
Stripped down our old double bed (been in the garage for 5 years) and found the bed was in two sections. Ths is going to provide me with a lot of timber so i can start building my hen house.

what would i protect the wood with inside and out?
what size should it be for say 5 pekins and 5 warrens ?
How easy is it to add the next box bit?

any other advice would be great too.

Many thanks
Marianne

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 16:35 »
Hi Marianne,

You don't really need to protect the timber on the inside as it should be dry all the time for the chooks.  :)

I'm guessing your bed frame will be make the general framework for the house.
What did you plan to use to clad the outside with ?
And the roof.

Have you access to any old pallets ?
Or did you want to buy some shiplap cladding or similar ?

Rob

mumof4

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 17:20 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Hi Marianne,

You don't really need to protect the timber on the inside as it should be dry all the time for the chooks.  :)

I'm guessing your bed frame will be make the general framework for the house.
What did you plan to use to clad the outside with ?
And the roof.

Have you access to any old pallets ?
Or did you want to buy some shiplap cladding or similar ?

Rob

Hi rob,

Yes i have several old pallets that i can use

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 17:34 »
In which case, providing you can make the joints fairly weather tight I would have thought a creosote substitute or something a little more decorative such as cuprinol or similar. You can get a wide range of colours.

If you make the roof with pallet wood, you'll need some felt or corrugated onduline sheeting. If you use felt, paint some biumen adhesive round the edges to stick it down as well as nail it so the dreaded red spider mites can't hide under it.  :twisted:

And whatever you paint/treat the wood with, give it a few days to dry out and air off so there's no fumes hanging around when the chooks move in.

Well done for taking DIY route. My advice is to make the inside as box-like as poss, ie. no nooks and crannies, just smooth walls and floor for easy cleaning. And remember to have a side removable for leaning in. They always poo in the farthest corner !

Rob

mumof4

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 18:11 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
In which case, providing you can make the joints fairly weather tight I would have thought a creosote substitute or something a little more decorative such as cuprinol or similar. You can get a wide range of colours.

If you make the roof with pallet wood, you'll need some felt or corrugated onduline sheeting. If you use felt, paint some biumen adhesive round the edges to stick it down as well as nail it so the dreaded red spider mites can't hide under it.  :twisted:

And whatever you paint/treat the wood with, give it a few days to dry out and air off so there's no fumes hanging around when the chooks move in.

Well done for taking DIY route. My advice is to make the inside as box-like as poss, ie. no nooks and crannies, just smooth walls and floor for easy cleaning. And remember to have a side removable for leaning in. They always poo in the farthest corner !

Rob

Many thanks, yes wanted to try and recycle as much as possible and when i saw the price of some of the new coups i was in shock I'll have to post some pictures when i've done it. They're going in the hutch as a temp home as they are so small and i've made a decent run for them.

Porffor

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 20:48 »
Am so relieved to read your thread! :) I am looking at getting a couple of hens (first time for me) and have a hutch as temp home and plan to make a henhouse later on. They really do cost the earth don't they!  :roll:

You have me thinking that we have an old bed in the loft I could use! ;) And am a regular on freecycle in my area, so am sure i could get some pallets. :)

Would love to see some pics of diy henhouses. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:35 »
loads on Omlet website  :D

Porffor

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 23:11 »
Well after days of deliberation.. we decided to 'recycle' some wood in the garden and the spare hutch we have. :) it has had a bit of a renovation and will be painted in the near future! :) all for no money so far, just need to sort out the run now. but the posts are already in. :)

xx
pic of bug house

Started by BestBreast on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 22:26
by A. Fallowfield
xx
Poly-house ??

Started by freyaluck on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 22:17
by robbobnbill
xx
grow house

Started by the spiv on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 10:37
by the spiv
xx
Hen House Plans

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2007, 15:48
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 35 queries.