High Winds & Polycarbonate Greenhouse

• 7 Replies

jmx

« on: May 10, 2007, 15:18 »
How do other peoples greenhouses fare in these strong winds?  I have a polycarb greenhouse, and I am forever retrieving the panels from up the field!! I am wondering if I should glue the panels in, as the little clips supplied just fly out at the slightest provocation.  Is it only in deepest darkest Leicestershire that we are getting these winds?  My 'uvver arf'
(I'm originally from London!) says I've sited in the wrong place and I should consider moving it to a more sheltered spot near the house, but I put it next to the veg plot, coz thats where I wanted it!  Any suggestions?
'just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!'

beansticks

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 15:23 »
Both of my greenhouses are glazed,so they dont pop so to speak.However they are not a very safe place to be in strong winds,also i never leave windows or doors open during windy weather.

milkman

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 16:04 »
Both of my greenhouses are glazed with 6mm twinwall polycarb on the roof and at the back with glass at the front and sides.  I got the polycarb panels laser cut to size when I bought them, and they are secured with the usual greenhouse clips.  

Haven't lost any panels yet in the high winds, although the whole window (polycarb+frame) in one greenhouse keeps falling out, but that is more to do with requiring an extra bit to secure it properly.

I did use to have some flimsier polycarb panels which were the standard 2ft x 2ft glass size and they were for ever blowing away.  Fortunately people were very good natured at retrieving them from their plots and returning them.

The doors of both greenhouses facing east, from which we rarely get a wind, so I've more or less got the doors fully open nearly all the time - even in this gusty windy weather we're getting at the moment.  

Now I just need to find time to transplant my toms and cucumbers into them!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Fat Hen

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 16:23 »
I too got fed up of chasing pannels & retrieving them from other peoples gardens from my B&Q polycarbonate GH.  Glass is not an option I have two small children & small garden.  I taped up the joins with Gaffer tape which helped a bit.  But what really sorted it was covering the whole GH in fishing net bought from a trawler suppliers in Fleetwood.  Where we are we get the full force of Westerly Gales and the combination of tape & net really helps.  Cost about £25.  Although I did have a GH thinking it was a box kite at one point because I hadn't sucured it down to the base properly.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 18:54 »
does this answer your question  :lol:  i took this during the winter gales, not  mine should I say, all the polys were blown over and only the odd glass one went.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 19:52 »
Can you not silicon them in ?, Mines timber and all the glass is puttied in, never lost a pane to wind or footballs  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jmx

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 20:22 »
Thanks all, I think I will have a go at siliconing them in.  I'm at the end of a mile long farm track, and surrounded by fields, and the wind really whips up here!  Back in January we had tiles off the roof, and I had to literally hang on to one corner of my hen house whilst it was being lashed to hastely knocked in stakes to stop it taking off!  I just kept knocking the heels of my ruby slippers together and saying "There's no place like home!"

WG.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 20:25 »
Quote from: "jmx"
the wind really whips up here!  Back in January we had tiles off the roof, and I had to literally hang on to one corner of my hen house whilst it was being lashed to hastely knocked in stakes to stop it taking off!  I just kept knocking the heels of my ruby slippers together and saying "There's no place like home!"

:lol:  :lol:   Heck Dorothy, try an Orkney or Shetland gale sometime !!!

xx
high winds and sweetcorn

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 10:18
by Goosegirl
xx
40 mph winds

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2024, 17:14
by Hampshire Hog
xx
dam rain and winds

Started by Larry the lep on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 15:49
by Larry the lep
xx
Strong winds and heavy showers

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2019, 20:36
by wighty

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.