Dirty Bottom - help (lots iof chicken TMI)

• 1 Replies

blossom1044

Dirty Bottom - help (lots iof chicken TMI)
« on: March 06, 2009, 15:32 »
All my choocks have been fine and wonderful girls and laying very well.

One recently (last week) has now very dirty feathers below her bottom.  She doesn't feel egg bound, but I'm not 100% sure.  How would you check for egg bound?  I gave her a feel and it all feels normal.  The poo on her bum is the colour it ought to be and doesn't seem to be watery.  though when I was looking at her again this morning she deposited a watery substance and then a normal poo.   She looks & acts in fine health otherwise.  she eats and drinks like all the others.

Can anyone help?  I'll try taking a pic of it.

I'm not sure if I should give her a bath a rub down or cut the feathers.  They have become matted with the poo. 

I've never had this problem before with any chicken, so I'm a little stuck.  Also I can't seem to find anything about it in books.

Help
T

new to hens
Thanks
T

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Re: Dirty Bottom - help (lots iof chicken TMI)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 18:49 »
hi  :)
some of my hens had poo-ey bum for a few days ( I'd let them onto the lottie while I was digging so they had stuffed themselves stupid on worms - with hindsight I'm sure that was the cause) and one was particularly bad...I think that once they get a bit pooey then all the subsequent poos seem to get caught/stick more!
Anyway, I tried sitting her in the sink with warm water and baby shampoo...some came off but there was quite a lot left so I cut the matted feathers off gently taking great care not to cut too near the skin.
She hasn't suffered apart from a bit of indignity and is much more comfy without a great lump of poo on her bum. :blush:
Hope this helps
ceri  :)

xx
dirty bottom

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2014, 10:37
by traacyken
xx
Dirty Bottom

Started by leznwynne on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 23:20
by kooringa
question
Dirty bottom & unable to catch to clean!

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:37
by emmaellis
question
Red raw skin, dirty bottom - normal or go to the vets?

Started by Julia and the girls on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 16:10
by Julia and the girls

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.