Yesterday was St Swithin's Day

• 7 Replies

madcat

Yesterday was St Swithin's Day
« on: July 16, 2018, 09:04 »
and not a drop of rain did we have.  40 more days of this will be great for the school holidays, but there are going to be all sorts of shortages this winter and the price rises that go with it. 

Hay is going to be desperately short - the farmers got one early good cut, but the second cut just isn't growing and they are even feeding hay to keep the animals going when there is nothing on the fields.  Straw is going for daft prices as the last long winter cleared everyone out.  Potatoes, after years of rotting in the fields, are now struggling to get enough water to swell ... and wheat is ripening fast without swelling.

And that is without the turmoil of Brexit.  Fill those freezers, jars and stores, folks!

All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Pescador

Re: Yesterday was St Swithin's Day
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 12:47 »
You're spot on Madcat! But you can guarantee that, once the prices rise, people will be blaming profiteering farmers and not the very strange weather over the last 6 months.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 13:05 »
Then when things return to ‘normal ‘ the prices don’t seem to go back down do they
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 19:11 »
Then when things return to ‘normal ‘ the prices don’t seem to go back down do they

I'm not sure I know what a 'normal' price is these days.

Supermarkets will always try to cheat you, and while we like local farm shops, they charge the earth for everything as well.

We just allow a certain amount of our money to buy stuff, then wonder where it all went later...

What's the alternative?

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 14:44 »
We've found a place called B&M Bargains that sell branded items far cheaper than our local Booth's supermarket. Ok, we could go to Sizzleburies, Little's or wherever but that would mean trailing around town which is not an option when you just want to buy-and-go. At least a lot of Booth's veg is grown locally, and there's another place we can get them if we are out that way. We just buy good produce and make it last.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 18:44 »
"We just buy good produce and make it last."

I think this is the best way Goosey.

The bottom drawer of our fridge always has a lot of stuff, and we weigh up the pros and cons of actually growing it all. I'm afraid that it's cheaper for us to buy the stuf..f:0(

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 14:06 »
We've down-sized what we grow now but still love to pick French beans and sugar snap peas, dig up potatoes, onions, shallots, garlic, and beetroot. Of course there are always sweet corn plants in the greenhouse because they always taste far better than those you buy. It's not just the price of growing things, it's the time it takes to get a good crop. We can buy good carrots with soil still on them, and brassicas which always get damaged by nasties so are not worth the trouble or space.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 15:02 »
That reminds me, I must beat my record for sweetcorn from plant to boiling water this year...

First toms today - about ten Sungold to come in this evening as a bruschetta!

xx
Yesterday's Debacle

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2021, 11:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Our Neighbour Died Yesterday

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post April 09, 2022, 07:27
by jezza
xx
Were you tricked, treated, or just hiding yesterday?

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2017, 16:21
by Mum2mj
clip
Children's Show Entries yesterday

Started by sunshineband on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2018, 17:47
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 47 queries.