Blackcurrants....

• 8 Replies

Benandbill

Blackcurrants....
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:44 »
... to net, or not to net?  Bushes are starting to show signs of life.  One senior plot holder told me not to bother as birds are only interested in red fruits like redcurrants, raspberries etc.  Anyone?  Does this sound like sound advice?

AnneB

Re: Blackcurrants....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 07:48 »
Judging by other posts the habits of birds seem to vary with location.   The only soft fruit I have to net are strawberries and redcurrants.   I have never had a problem with black currants, raspberries or gooseberries. 

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:50 »
We have to net all soft fruit if we want to have some.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56 »
Judging by other posts the habits of birds seem to vary with location.   The only soft fruit I have to net are strawberries and redcurrants.   I have never had a problem with black currants, raspberries or gooseberries.

Same for us. I have had some very heavy large wire cages made but this is not to stop birds more to stop people bothering when they strip the crop off, I am hoping it will just make them think twice  ::)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:15 »
If you do net, make sure it's taught and well secured so birds don't get trapped in it  :)

Benandbill

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 11:28 »
If you do net, make sure it's taught and well secured so birds don't get trapped in it  :)
Thanks for this compostqueen, it doesn't reach the botton of the bush so I'll have to try and do something with tent pegs and string I suppose...  Hmmm, lots of messing around with string next w/e I expect as I'll be putting my runner bean canes up as well   :)

salmonking

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 13:35 »
my neighbour has 8 huge blackcurrent bushes he never nets and has no problem with birds.he cant use all of them he has so many.i planted a bush last year so hopefully wont have a problem either! but you being in wales your birds will probably pinch them  :lol: (im welsh by the way!)lol

Benandbill

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 14:31 »
my neighbour has 8 huge blackcurrent bushes he never nets and has no problem with birds.he cant use all of them he has so many.i planted a bush last year so hopefully wont have a problem either! but you being in wales your birds will probably pinch them  :lol: (im welsh by the way!)lol

There is nothing to lose by netting I suppose so, I'm going to net 2 bushes out of the 3 I have, so a sort of an experiment you could say.  Not sure about the Welshness of pinching blackcurrants though?!?!   ;)

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 14:56 »
If it's edible, the birds will eat it over here  >:( The sneaky pests have even walked through a small gap in my blueberry netting and stripped the plants   :mad: This year will be different - am building a big walk in netted fruit cage and have already moved everything to that area. Strawberries are popular with chipmunks and robins and we're building a smaller cage in that area.

As more and more natural feed sources disappear with housing and commercial developments, the birds will source more home gardens to survive.

xx
Blackcurrants

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 16:11
by sclarke624
xx
blackcurrants

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 09:58
by LilacSandy
xx
blackcurrants

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 23:27
by WG.
xx
Red and Blackcurrants

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 08:09
by beth123

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 38 queries.