What type of Rotavator

• 10 Replies

mikeimp

What type of Rotavator
« on: February 14, 2012, 16:46 »
I understand the pros and cons of using a rotavator .Its not something I would use to a great extent ,just to prepare ground for sowing planting etc with digging the main attck on the soil.
If I was to purchase a Rotavator should I look for one with the tines in front or at the rear of the machine using the front wheels to drive it?  If so can anyone reccomend one?

Thanks
Mikeimp

Billnorfolk

• without chooks and garden could do this all day
Re: What type of Rotavator
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 17:11 »
Hi Mike

Are you looking at a big erea,ie allotement size and you are prepared to dig as well ,then a middle of the road one3-4 hp engine over the tines tends to work deeper and work out cheaper,rear tined with drive wheels are fine but expensive and realy not needed on dug ground .If you are looking new stick with Honda ,will last longer than most .

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 00:27 »
A few of my friends had 3/4hp rotovators, when there is some dry weather they cannot get into undug soil at all.  Last year I wanted an easy portable rotovator due to transporting it being an issue for me.  So I opted for a mantis 4 stroke rotovator, the 1 with handlebars that are like they been nicked off an old chopper bike lol.  All the ads and videos make them look good.  But I can say without any doubt if I knew now, back then, I would of never touched 1.  Dry or undug soil, forget it you got no chance of it tilling the soil.  I would personally suggest a rear tine rotovator, something in the region of 6.5hp.  My friend has a 6.5hp caimen, works like a dream through any kind of soil, in any conditions.  Also take into consideration what size area you are going to rotovate, maybe just cheaper to hire 1?
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

allotment south wales

• welcome
    • allotment grower
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 20:49 »
it does depend on the amount of ground you have..

i have one full plot 6 meters x approx 60meters and a half of plot 6 x 30meters

i used to dig them by hand over autumn / winter again in the spring..

the other allotment members would turn up in march and spark up the rotovator and catch me up..

i still dig over the allotment by hand in the autumn / winter removing all weeds and crops..

but it does help with braking up the soil into a fine tilf to plant and raise seeds..
rotovator.png
keep it organic and you will see the difference including taste......

mikeimp

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 15:53 »
Many thanks for all your comments just received my very own Mantis took me about an hour to build it ,good instructions.Tried it out in the back garden started easily and just went over a bed with it ,lovely.Hope it gives us many happy hours of Tilling.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 13:34 »
A few of my friends had 3/4hp rotovators, when there is some dry weather they cannot get into undug soil at all.  Last year I wanted an easy portable rotovator due to transporting it being an issue for me.  So I opted for a mantis 4 stroke rotovator, the 1 with handlebars that are like they been nicked off an old chopper bike lol.  All the ads and videos make them look good.  But I can say without any doubt if I knew now, back then, I would of never touched 1.  Dry or undug soil, forget it you got no chance of it tilling the soil.  I would personally suggest a rear tine rotovator, something in the region of 6.5hp.  My friend has a 6.5hp caimen, works like a dream through any kind of soil, in any conditions.  Also take into consideration what size area you are going to rotovate, maybe just cheaper to hire 1?
6.5hp sounds like 2-wheel tractor for me  :wub: will need a trailer then  :D

grendel

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 14:37 »
just got my 1970's versatiller out  (well dragged it from under the plastic garden tagle where it was all winter, filled  the petrol, and started it first pull. then in an hour and a half proceded to rotovate all of one of my half plots. it will need a couple of passes in different directions, but at least I have done the initial spring turn over.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:00 »
I understand the pros and cons of using a rotavator .Its not something I would use to a great extent ,just to prepare ground for sowing planting etc with digging the main attck on the soil.
If I was to purchase a Rotavator should I look for one with the tines in front or at the rear of the machine using the front wheels to drive it?  If so can anyone reccomend one?

Thanks
Mikeimp

We just borrowed a 5.5hp JCB make rotavator with four sets of tines, it did the job no problem but very hard to keep under control at full power. if your buying one and your plot is not huge then go for managable over size.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09 »
We just borrowed a 5.5hp JCB make rotavator with four sets of tines, it did the job no problem but very hard to keep under control at full power. if your buying one and your plot is not huge then go for managable over size.
It should not "jump", otherwise machine too light and you will need couple weights

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:11 »
Mikeimp.

I think you got the best option.

I have a mantis too.

There is a point when the clods are too big the ground too wet and clayish where the Mantis bounces around the top and doesn;t till well. BUT other than some of the nuts and bolts coming off it is an essential part of the veg growing gardening thing and you can stick it in the boot of your car, carry it in one hand.

These mighty merlin super dooper four tine juggernauts are like my neighbours Mobile home. They sit in the front garden for 11 1/2 months of the year doing nothing

Hobnails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 23:19 »
Mikeimp.

I think you got the best option.

I have a mantis too.

There is a point when the clods are too big the ground too wet and clayish where the Mantis bounces around the top and doesn;t till well. BUT other than some of the nuts and bolts coming off it is an essential part of the veg growing gardening thing and you can stick it in the boot of your car, carry it in one hand.

And in the garage is where my Mantis stays for all but a fortnight. I've given up with it as a tiller and gone back to hand digging- faster, cheaper with fuel at the price it is now, deeper and more sure. I use it only for scarifying the lawn - and even then use a hand rake at times. IMO The best thing about Mantis is its advertising department

These mighty merlin super dooper four tine juggernauts are like my neighbours Mobile home. They sit in the front garden for 11 1/2 months of the year doing nothing
Little by little a bird makes its nest!

xx
What Type Of Hoe Should I Buy

Started by pookey on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 20:13
by shaun
xx
which type of fuel ?

Started by bigsprouts on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 22:36
by shaun
xx
Any 1 used this type of polytunnel

Started by growvege on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 21:52
by growvege
xx
What type of polytunnel?

Started by Donnay on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 07:57
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 35 queries.