working and keeping hens

• 3 Replies

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
working and keeping hens
« on: October 11, 2010, 22:35 »
hello everyone - i will be starting work full time in 2 weeks time and wondered what is the best way round things? What i mean is normally  i give the girls their mixed corn and greenstuff in the afternoons so because i will be at work should i put all their food down before i go to work? I am new to this area so dont know anyone also i wont be back until after 6pm so will be too late then! Would it be ok to put all their food down for them before i go to work? I must admit i will miss looking at them during the day :(
regards Patricia

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
Re: working and keeping hens
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 23:26 »
Hi Looe-Looe-Bell, shouldn't be a problem, they can only eat so much at a time, it will be their choice what will be first on the menu  :D understand how you feel about not getting to see them before bedtime !! good luck with your job.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:48 »
Hi Looe-Looe-Bell, shouldn't be a problem, they can only eat so much at a time, it will be their choice what will be first on the menu  :D understand how you feel about not getting to see them before bedtime !! good luck with your job.

It's important with layers that they eat the pellets as their staple diet so I personally wouldn't give them any treats until evening in anycase.  As long as it's still light they will eat a handful of corn each so at the moment 6pm is fine.   Of course later into winter it will be dark by 4pm so you can give them a small handful in the morning and if they don't get any greens during the day in their run greens in moderation are OK too.  Leave other treats till a weekend late afternoon.

Corn is very low in nutritional value and doesn't contain all the minerals chx need so from a nutritional point of view it's not as essential as pellets and feeding too early will reduce the bulk of pellets they eat so cut it out if they don't seem to be eating as much of their main layers feed.

Best wishes and good luck with the job.
HF
Truth through science.

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 15:31 »
First of all, congrats on the job!

You can buy feed bowls with timers on them (downside not cheap) so it might be an idea to put the treats in one of those and set the timer for the afternoon so they eat their dinner before starting on pudding. My girls are like kids: terrible for filling up on treats and then not having room for their main.

If you don't want to do that you might be able to get a neighbour or a responsible child who would enjoy fussing over your girls. You never know; you might convert them to chicken ownership!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

xx
keeping hens near mine

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 21:34
by karlooben
question
Thinking of keeping hens?

Started by Manlea1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 22:22
by bertha
xx
New to keeping hens and to the forum!

Started by alfieairedale on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 22:14
by alfieairedale
xx
council ban keeping hens

Started by colin on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 08:03
by colin

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 38 queries.