Just Started keeping Hens again.

• 12 Replies

guppy02

Just Started keeping Hens again.
« on: August 07, 2009, 22:35 »
Hi Guys

i gotta say this forum is smashing!!

I just got 8 POL hens(4 ISA Warrens and 4 Sussex). Its not the first time i kept hens, i used to have a few about 6 years back before i went to uni.

These hens are POL the guy i bought them from said they were about 20 week old. I was curious how long it will be till they start laying. Last time i kept hens i bought them from a farmer and were already laying.

My other concern is that they all seem to love sleeping in the next boxes. I am not sure if this is a problem for when they start laying? I thought about blocking the boxes at night to encourage them to perch. It is however quite amusing as they are all squabbling over who sleeps in the boxes :). Should i leave them to figure things out them selves?

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
Re: Just Started keeping Hens again.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 23:53 »
hi, welcome.
 In answer to your questions, I always block off nestboxes at bedtime, as I like the eggs to be as clean as possible! It is better if they roost on perches, as it keeps the birds cleaner too.
 They should start laying any day now, dont panic that the first few eggs may be "odd", til they get the hang of it. They might be shell-less, be whites without any yolk, misshapen or  likely to be small, or even tiny. Also, they might lay one, then wait a week til next one, before settling down to a routine. I usually keep a golf ball in the nest box in the early days, to encourage them to lay in the right place.
 Mine have just started to off laying now, there is the possibility that yours won't bother now until early next year, but that is unlikely if the weather brightens.
 Well done for keeping chickens again, they are such fun to watch, hope you get as much pleasure from yors as I do from mine :D :D :D

'Mimey
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:20 »
hi, i cant offer you any advice as ive only been owned by chickens for a week . i just wanted to congratulate you on getting some new girlies...hope you happy many happy years together :D x

guppy02

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:57 »
I read that somewhere else about not laying till end of December.

I already had golf balls in the boxes but they got covered with straw now. I am going to go clean them out and will stick cardboard over the box tonight.

Thanks for the advice

bexy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 12:41 »
Hi
My hens use to squabble at first to who was going to have the prime spot in sleeping in one corner of the nest box even though it would sleep all 6 comfortably :nowink:

Now just 2 of them sleep in there and the others sleep in the rest of their house which is 7Ft x 6Ft.

There is an old wooden garden chair in there and a raised bench.

I don't block off there nest box(egg laying area) at all,if they are happy to sleep there then so be it,after all i have my hens so they can have a good life now compared to their disgusting early stages as ex battery hens and the eggs i see as rewards for me for being so kind to them.
If there is a bit of dirt on the eggs which isn't very often then i just wash this off under cold water with a nail brush. :)

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 13:26 »
Congrats on the new ladies in your life!
Our started laying around about the 19 week age...Our first one laid after being chased by the dog! I think it was the shock.  Wouldnt recomend that as a way of getting them to lay tho'  :blink:
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

guppy02

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 16:16 »
I though i would show of my new hens :) Took me 2 weeks to build all the panels. The recent weather hasnt helped so had to squese in as much time in after work :)

First time they left the house :)

I have fox and dog proofed it with a skirt all the way round!

nzdunn

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 16:33 »
arh wot a lovely home your girlies have they are very lucky well done, love their little house.   nickyx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 21:53 »
That's a lovely house and run guppy!  What lucky girls!!

Is there enough room in the house for 8?

guppy02

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 22:02 »
That's a lovely house and run guppy!  What lucky girls!!

Is there enough room in the house for 8?

I thought the same when i put it up as i wanted 10 so i got 8 to be safe. However i would say if you wanted to push it you could fit 12. But it seems to have Plenty room for 8. I found it on ebay for a good price new :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 22:12 »
It certainly looks a bit sturdier than some I've seen on Ebay!!! :D :D

lightyears

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 23:20 »
was that house a one off on ebay or from a seller, i quite like the look of it for my new enclosure, but as grannie said some arnt to sharp on the bay. any seller details  :D

guppy02

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 09:41 »
IT's not bad. The wood is a little bit soft but its quite solid. I treated the wood again
The dog had a good try on the first day to get in. He tried to chew and dig underneath. Soon sorted that out with netting and rocks.

Very easy to put up. The guy i bought it from has a website
http://thechickenhousecompany.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22_23&products_id=61&

However i paid £165 for mine on eBay :) i can not see any listed at the moment.
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/The-Chicken-House-Company

I wanted something with a run. But its hard to find a house with a big run. I am not sure if i will let them out. It depends on the dog is. He is a born killer and i don't trust him. He has lost interest in the coop at least for now.

xx
What age were your hens when they started laying?

Started by snow white on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 15:30
by GrannieAnnie
xx
hens just started laying but very small eggs

Started by Jenni on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 18:58
by withnail
xx
council ban keeping hens

Started by colin on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 08:03
by colin
xx
Keeping hens warm

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 20:18
by muntjac

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.