Scotland- keeping hens in garden law

• 3 Replies

Bryando

Scotland- keeping hens in garden law
« on: March 16, 2017, 17:23 »
Hi there,

I was offered an allotment by my council but refused as they don't allow chickens.  I then days later discovered I could have and been protected by the law.  Allotment Act Scottish version.

I am fairly confident many years back to read something that gave Scottish council tenants the right to keep hens in the back garden provided they were not pets.  The basis being they were kept for eggs/meat.  Now proving they are not pets would be an uphill struggle for the state and I doubt very much they would pursue it due to cost!   But that is another question.

Question I would like to ask is-  Does anybody know what I could have read that provide a right for a Scottish council tenant to keep a few chickens?
Thank you.

Mum2mj

Re: Scotland- keeping hens in garden law
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 20:01 »
Some general info here not sure if it applies to Scotland

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/allotment-info/hens-bees-and-other-animals/

This links to Scottish legislation so you should hopefully find something there

http://www.allotmoreallotments.org.uk/legislation.htm

Bryando

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 13:19 »
Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 16:44 »
Hi there,

I was offered an allotment by my council but refused as they don't allow chickens.  I then days later discovered I could have and been protected by the law.  Allotment Act Scottish version.

I am fairly confident many years back to read something that gave Scottish council tenants the right to keep hens in the back garden provided they were not pets.  The basis being they were kept for eggs/meat.  Now proving they are not pets would be an uphill struggle for the state and I doubt very much they would pursue it due to cost!   But that is another question.

Question I would like to ask is-  Does anybody know what I could have read that provide a right for a Scottish council tenant to keep a few chickens?
Thank you.

You and others are right  that s.12 Allotments Act 1950 only applies in England and Wales.  I have looked at the Allotments (Scotland) Acts 1892, 1922 & 1950.  None of them have a section that mirrors s.12 in the E&W Act. 

I therefore don't think your first paragraph, that you would have been protected by the Scottish law on allotments, is correct.

As regards council tenancies (whether for council houses or council allotments - I'm not clear which you mean), it will depend on the particular terms of the tenancy.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Keeping chickens in the garden

Started by Batloaf on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 14:18
by scara
xx
Keeping poultry in the garden

Started by tosca100 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 20:18
by Yorkie
xx
working and keeping hens

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 15:31
by Pertelotte
xx
Just Started keeping Hens again.

Started by guppy02 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 09:41
by guppy02

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 39 queries.