New hens refusing to go to bed

• 6 Replies

Robert

« on: July 05, 2008, 22:10 »
Hi

A couple of months back we acquired 2 new hens as growers. Since going outside they have been living in a separate run within the main run so they could see and be seen by the existing hens. The new girls are now about 17 weeks old so we are trying to mix them all in together.

They happily get along together during the day without problems, no fighting or bullying and if let out they all go around together as a group.

The problem is at bedtime one of the youngsters simply refuses to go up with all the others. After the others are all in bed she will be found roosting alone on the fence. For a few nights now I've popped her in  hoping she would get the message but each night she does the same thing.

I'm not sure what to try next. Previous introductions have always followed the herd. This one seems a bit too independent.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:32 »
Give her a cuddle and read her a story as you take her into the coop!  :tongue2:
Actually mine don't go in until it is getting really dark, so perhaps she doesn't like going to bed early?

treacleminer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:54 »
Quote from: "blulagoo"
so perhaps she doesn't like going to bed early?

Obviously a teenager :roll:

hookfarmchickens

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 13:52 »
Hi, New hens have to be imprinted to the new house by being shut in for a good 24, maybe even 48 hours. If ths means introducing them to existing hens then all of them have to be shut in, new and old. It sounds harsh, but it concentrates their mind. If it does not work the first time you let them out, then shut them in again. It will work! Alison

Robert

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 13:58 »
Thanks, I'll try shutting them all in.

I've done that before when they were all new but past introductions have taken their lead from the others.

I think part of the problem is this one doesn't want to go to bed as early as the rest so she doesn't follow them to roost.

Thanks again.

Porffor

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 18:27 »
Mine don't go to bed till quite late, but they do go.. i had to sit on fox watch for a while though and let it get REALLY dark for them to actually make the move to bed.. now they'll go around 10pm. It was 10.20pm when I used the tough love tactics! lol

blossom1044

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:44 »
Madras (RIR) won't go to bed until the very last minute and she'll make sure all the others are in.  she also gives it large and tries to roost on the fence.  Though she does go in eventually - we have to be patient and do the fox watch.
new to hens
Thanks
T

xx
Hen refusing to go to bed!

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 22:05
by Flossiej
xx
refusing to lay in box...?

Started by celtbhoy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:38
by SMD66
xx
Hen refusing to prech with others

Started by kizza on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 22:36
by muntjac
xx
Refusing to part with egg!

Started by EggBound on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 10:59
by EggBound

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 28 queries.