Coleslaw...

• 12 Replies

Growster...

Coleslaw...
« on: January 16, 2023, 17:14 »
It's the time of year when we do loads of coleslaw, and we use a spud-basher for the cabbage, a grater for the carrot, and the onion gets a bashing until nearly mashed. The whole lot goes into a bowl which has had some garlic juice spread around the outside...

What does the team do when faced with preparing this simple delicacy? I'd love to know as there must be some superb variations!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Coleslaw...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 17:27 »
I just slice cabbage and onion thinly, then add grated carrots and add a Tablespoon of Greek Olive oil, a couple of dollops of low cal mayo, a teaspoon mustard and a pinch of chilli, s & p and mix it all up in my big bowl.
Sorted!

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 17:38 »
Never even thought about olive oil, Mum!

We like the millionaire's olive oil, Yanni's, (ten notes a half litre, but so spicy and fabulous), for bruschetta, so that's now on the list!

Or mustard also, so Mr Coleman get's a visit as well! As for chilli, well, that's a great idea!

I seem to remember that you make slaws from lots of other veg, like swede? True or false?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 18:13 »
I have been known to grate swede instead of carrot, and in summer use apple, but the white cabbage is the constant.  I like the oils from Crete and use use Belazu Gold Extra Virgin Olive oil  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 18:18 »
Apple goes into the Waldorf, resting in the fridge as we speak, and I'm wondering what to have with it so Mrs Growster can be a happy person while we watch 'Taxi' on YouTube...

(Only found that the whole lot is free now, as before, you had to pay squillions, or just couldn't get the third series on Region 2)!

What that has to do with coleslaw, I don't know, but somehow it seems to fit the bill...:0~

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 18:22 »
I add whole grain mustard or sometimes Dijon but never English Mr G. Plain yogurt and or low fat mayo and a good squeeze of lemon juice or sometimes lime along with the white cabbage, sometimes half/half red cabbage, carrots, grated & finely sliced red onion or white. Freshly ground salt & pepper.  It’s good with grated kohlrabi.
Like the idea of swede Mum, will try that.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

wighty

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 20:41 »
I have put finely sliced fennel in as well for a change.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 09:43 »
I love a good coleslaw but have never mad it. Just wondered about a good dollop of creme fraiche as well?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 12:43 »
It's well worth a bit of time, Goosey...

Slightly off topic, but I made some chilli and damson jam last year, and it seems to have fermented, as there's a definite whiff of 'tincture' on opening the jar, and it (ahem), tastes fabulous too...

Can this be so?

wighty

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 16:52 »
It was the end of the month and we were down to scraping the barrel for what to put in eldest's sandwiches for school.  Only thing found was some homemade jam.  At lunch time decided youngest and I would also have to have a jam sandwich but on opening the jar saw that it was       'bubbling' away merrily!! :D :ohmy:  Phoned the school to say not to let her eat it but was too late, didn't have any effect on her although the school (who found it amusing) promised to keep an eye on her.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 17:25 »
Marvellous story, Wighty!

I only noticed the kerfuffle when the spoon went into the stuff, (it's a one litre Kilner Jar), but it actually tasted really good, so maybe we've discovered a new way for preserves!

Is there any room on your shelves for such a delicacy?

I can see it now, 'WightyGrows Alcoholic Jam - the Elixir of school dinners and teas...'

We can make a fortune!

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 11:04 »
Kohlrabi makes a great coleslaw! If I have time i salt the grated/chopped veg for an hour or two then rinse and let it dry, makes it a bit crunchier. But isn't strictly necessary

For dressing I usually go with a typical salad dressing of oil/vinegar/garlic/mustards/honey etc or a creamy one that has half homemade mayo and half natural plain Yoghurt, plus a bit of whatever comes to mind at the time

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 06:46 »
That sounds really lovely, Snow - I love kohl rabi!

I should really try and grow some this year, but space is at a premium so far...

xx
Coleslaw

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 22, 2011, 21:08
by chrissie B
xx
Coleslaw recipe- green cabbage?

Started by Sideways on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 18:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 53 queries.