early Brussels

• 9 Replies

rowlandwells

early Brussels
« on: January 17, 2011, 20:28 »
i would like to harvest a crop of Brussels around Sep/Oct what do you think the best time would be to set the seed for cropping around this time as i always set my Brussels seed around the middle of March  :mellow:

because i have had disappointing results for two seasons now i always grow both F1.s and
O/P varieties maybe i need to try an early variety any advise  :(

smc

• Experienced Member
Re: early Brussels
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 20:32 »
i would of said to early, need a frost

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 20:40 »
This is a small one that says August/September harvest, but I agree about the frost. In my book they have no flavour until they've had one.

Early Brussels
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 23:26 »
I agree about the frost. In my book they have no flavour until they've had one.

Pick them and bung em in the freezer  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:29 »
solway cropper - why don't you use the quote button?  It's easy, it's what it's there for and it nice to know who you're quoting without looking back. (This goes for a few others too!).

Anyway, they don't seem to develop the same flavour that way as they would naturally do on the plant.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 14:49 »
where i agree Brussels do taste better with a frost or two i am trying to get some decent Brussels to harvest i could try setting an early and late  planting i suppose  last years Brussels where i have to say a disaster they just never seemed to grow  :mellow:

although this year the brassicas are moved to another site maybe it mite be a better plot it has been manured but i noticed when i was down the lottie today that some of the winter cauliflowers have been frost damaged despite part of the cauli-patch having some shelter :(

i also noticed that some Brussels on a lottie near me where still OK to pick and  no frost damage although they are at the bottom of the lottie near a hedge very frustrating  >:(

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 18:41 »
You need to choose an early heading variety for an early crop. Check the labels or go to a seed merchant who provides suitable information.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 22:51 »
This is the first year Ive had sprouts with a true frost.  The taste difference is amazing.  I would wait, its worth it.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 16:09 »
i would like to harvest a crop of Brussels around Sep/Oct what do you think the best time would be to set the seed for cropping around this time as i always set my Brussels seed around the middle of March  :mellow:

because i have had disappointing results for two seasons now i always grow both F1.s and
O/P varieties maybe i need to try an early variety any advise  :(
hi rowlandwells, i grew some f1 brilliant early variety last season with excellent results.sown 29/03/10 planted out 23/05/10.they were ready mid august.(to early for me really).i must say they were some of the best looking sprouts ive seen.also (as ive learned last season) that "early" dosnt necessarily mean early planting,and that its the speed of growth of that variety of plant, which is something to consider. :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 20:31 »
hi brassica Blaz i have seen that variety in my seed catalogue its wort a try thanks for your helpful replies  :D
RW

xx
help with brussels

Started by gimli on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 13:48
by Plot22
clip
Brussels

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 20:39
by Beetroot Queen
xx
brussels

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 22:15
by ziggywigs
xx
Brussels - Help

Started by moneyspider on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 08:55
by Mike.white

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 34 queries.