What can I start on now??

• 13 Replies

Cheryl B

What can I start on now??
« on: January 17, 2011, 16:43 »
Right, fingers are itchy and need to start growing something - what can I plant out or start off indoors now? Last year was my first year and I would like to prolong my season this time by getting things out earlier. I am in Somerset, so it is generally quite mild.

GreenOwl

Re: What can I start on now??
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 16:53 »
I'm sorry but its really too soon.  I know all about itchy fingers but really unless you've got a heated greenhouse with artificial lighting its just too early.

There's another thread on this somewhere as well.

Edited to say:
Found it:  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69785.0
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 16:56 by GreenOwl »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 16:57 »
I agree, do not be tempted to start things too soon, you can end up with weak & leggy plants and the prospect of having to keep them in the house for several months until the weather is suitable to plasce them elsewhere.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 17:01 »
I agree. The problem is not enough light (even Down South!), and anything you grow will become leggy and drawn (unless you get a Grow Lamp, in which case you can start off anything you like ...)

Onions from seed - prick out into small modules, and plant out later.

Broad Bean Aquadulce one per 3" pot (modules are probably fine too) to plant out a bit later.

Aubergine if you have a cold greenhouse (to put them in later, not yet!!!)

You could sow some carrots in a container (I used 50% used multi-purpose compost from last year, 50% sharp sand)

Early Cauliflower maybe - e.g. Snowball

Also Lettuce in containers - I have some window-box plastic troughs which do well for that

Sweet Peas - if you want to grow them.

Some people start Leeks off now. I think its too early (we don't want to eat them in the Autumn, as we like them in the Winter) and I think they are inclined to bolt if sown this early.

Ask again on the 1st February when there will be a bit more you can look forward to :)

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 23:52 »
I know how you feel but if you're that desperate put some sprouting seeds on wet kitchen towel on a windowsill and watch them romp away. By the time they're ready to eat you should be able to get away with some early salad leaves, broad beans, etc. By early Feb. you should certainly be able to start many things off indoors where you are.

skewball

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:29 »
I sowed Chilli seeds last year on 28th Jan. Started in a heated propagator; they took about 7-10 days to come up followed by a windowsill and eventually outside.

With careful use of tinfoil they all turned out fine and I ended up with a good long growing season for them so loads of chillis. However, they did start off a bit leggy and had to be re-potted a couple of times so I could plant them deeper.
On reflection this year I will give it another 2 weeks probably….(well, probably……)

Anyway, they will be the first things I sow this year.
Just a little more patience….

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 12:54 »
Perhaps prudent to choose a "smaller plant" variety of Chilli for an early start? That way the plants you have to nurse until past-last-frost won't be too humongous!

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 13:03 »
Its too early and yet grow your own magazine gave away tomato seeds and advised  planting them now.  I bought this  mag the first week in January, so how many folk will have already planted them?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 13:13 »
grow your own magazine gave away tomato seeds and advised  planting them now.
is that the same as the Grow Fruit and Veg forum, or is that a different magazine?

They have a thread going on early sown Tomatoes.  LOTS of people trying it. That was a week or so ago, now the posts are "they are 2 inches tall and flopping over, should I take them out of the airing cupboard yet" (well, not quite that bad, but jolly nearly).

No point you going looking for that thread today.  They were upgrading the forum yesterday and at some point shortly after 17:30 the message saying "We'll be back up at 17:45" changed from yesterday's date to today's ...

Their last upgrade (some years ago) was a nightmare too, and Gardeners Corner has recently upgraded - not entirely smoothly - hopefully John has no redecorating planned here? :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 13:17 »
The very same, Kristen.

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 13:57 »
I am delaying everything this year...only by 2 or 3 weeks.

This will be my third year.

The first year everything I sowed germinated with no complaints.  :D

Last year was a real battle even though I sowed at the same time as Year #1.   :mad:
The cold winter and spring really affected germination rates and had me so frustrated at times (probably went through 2 or 3 Courgette, Cucumber and sweetcorn packets before I got something to transplant.

The one thing I have learnt is not to rush things because Mother Nature has been doing her job a long time and she knows what she's doing.

kari

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 14:16 »
Its so lovely & sunny here that its really tempting to get some seeds in, but am holding off as best I can.

My Broad Bean Aquadulce will be sown in modules at the end of the month. I have a few different seeds in my sprouter, a tray of Rocket on one windowsill for microgreens & am planning a trial of some lettuce to grow as microgreens as well this weekend.   

Rocket as a microgreen has grown well inside all winter & is lovely in a sarnie or scrambled eggs
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

SkipRat

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 20:52 »
I agree still too early yet, i,m sat on my hands as i type lol  :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Zippy

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 23:01 »
that's what I found with my Leeks experiment - sowed some Leeks into a deep litter tray (like what DD does) and left them to germinate to see how they would do from a January sowing. Then I was called away to attend to my uncle's funeral and house clearance and when I got back they had grown up but leggy and weak.

As everyone says, too weak. I won't be sowing until we have attended to Beltaine. Nothing like a bit of fire to get the sun going again!

xx
New Start

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 00:28
by Kristen
xx
well it's a start

Started by skippy1707 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 16:58
by skippy1707
xx
Where to start ?

Started by kevinp on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 12:57
by potatogrower
xx
Where to start!

Started by allotmentamy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 20, 2011, 17:01
by allotmentamy

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 34 queries.