Neighbour from hell

• 7 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
Neighbour from hell
« on: March 23, 2017, 22:31 »
My neighbour is a nightmare what can I say. I don't expect sympathy on here but I wanted to vent anyway. I used to love chickens, had some ex-batts myself. My neighbour has 2 cockerels, I'm not kidding, will crow constantly for 10 hours straight in the summer and are just starting to kick -off again now. It has driven me to tears.We are in a rural area in a row of semi's. She put one cockerel within 6 ft of my son's downstairs bedroom. He has autism and mental and health problems. It drove him potty. I have chronic ill health and re-trained to work from home- can't because of cockerels.
I had to give up studying because of the noise. We can't enjoy our garden any more . She refuses to control the rats and we now have them coming in the loft.
The council come out, she gets more chickens, the stench is disgusting, my chickens never smelt, what is she doing?
The council came out and measured the noise as , apparently, the same as a whisper...amazing when you can't be heard over it...totally corrupt :( I measured the noise on a decimeter myself 60-70 decibels, the equivalent of a pneumatic drill. I despair, I cannot believe someone is allowed to mentally torture their neighbours like this, please consider your neighbours.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 23:16 by Flump »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Neighbour from hell
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 22:59 »
I'm sad for you that this is affecting your life, but 60-70 db really isn't so loud, about the same as a vacuum cleaner or normal conversation.

Have the council been to check about the smell, do other neighbours notice it as well? the more people that think it is a problem the more likely the Council are to listen.

Dullnote

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 23:32 »
Remember noise is on logarithmic scale, so for every 3 increase on the scale doubles the noise level so say 60 to 70 can be a dig difference.

I would think it is not the level of noise but the consistent noise is more of the issue, sorry to hear the issue and I don't know is a solution.

I take it talking is out of the question?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:12 »
Noise, smell and rats could all be deemed a Statutory Nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act, so the council has a duty to take complaints seriously and investigate.

Its worth keeping a log on when you complain and if the other neighbours also also affected, getting them to do the same. 

Remember, the council officers are people as well, so trying to work with them is important.  Difficult when you are pushed to the edge by noise, smell and all the rest of it, but you will get a better response that way. 

If you really feel the council is not fulfilling its duties, you can go to the Local Government Ombudsman.   

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 22:57 »
Remember noise is on logarithmic scale, so for every 3 increase on the scale doubles the noise level so say 60 to 70 can be a dig difference.

I would think it is not the level of noise but the consistent noise is more of the issue, sorry to hear the issue and I don't know is a solution.

I take it talking is out of the question?
Yes, she said 'what do you expect me to do about it? ' :(

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 23:15 »
I'm sad for you that this is affecting your life, but 60-70 db really isn't so loud, about the same as a vacuum cleaner or normal conversation.

Have the council been to check about the smell, do other neighbours notice it as well? the more people that think it is a problem the more likely the Council are to listen.

It certainly sounds louder than a vacuum cleaner at our house and you can't talk over it. And the council aren't interested as it only affects us, the other side to her are out all day.The smell only affects us too as it is right next to us.I tried to attach a small video but it says file too large

grinling

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 19:48 »
Did the council give you a antisocial behaviour diary? Mine does it electronically so yours might offer it. Another source of complaint is your ward councillor, details should be on your council website.
The problem is the smell and rats, both should be easy to control.
Does she breed hens or is there foxes in the neighbourhood...hence why the cockerals.
If your son's wellbeing  is being affected a letter from your doctor and school would help.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 19:49 »
is there anything in the by-laws to say she can't keep cockerels? You can get a sleeve which goes on the cockerels neck, it stops them inflating their throat to crow. Zip ties work better..  ::)

I had several hens at our old house, and they used to make some noise, but not as much as the neighbours dog barking it's head off for being left outside all night..  >:(
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 19:50 by Rhys »
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

xx
Whingy neighbour.

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post August 02, 2014, 13:10
by jay001
question
Neighbour's cockerel

Started by Smokeymoe on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2020, 20:05
by grinling
xx
Think i'm going to kill my neighbour-well not really.......

Started by wildwitchy on Chicken Chat

44 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 13:22
by wildwitchy
xx
Neighbour trimmed the hedge a bit too much

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2016, 14:31
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 41 queries.