Charlotte potatoes

• 4 Replies

gadd2508

Charlotte potatoes
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:55 »
Morning. I am growing Charlotte potatoes in a large pot and I have a lot of greenery but no flowers. I thought that I had to wait until the plants flowered and died before harvesting is that right? Maybe I am too impatient!
Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Charlotte potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 14:01 »
Some potato varieties produce few if any flowers, although Charlotte isn't one of them.

Flowering is a good indication that the plants are maturing - probably best to wait until the foliage starts to die back to maximise your crop, although there's nothing to stop you 'furtling' down the inside of the pot to see what size your buried treasure has reached.

Make sure they're not short of water from now until harvest.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 14:57 »
I have just lifted my first no dig Charlotte potatoes about two minutes ago and they have never had flowers on them. One or two plants have a few small purple'ish flowers but not many.
As to no dig spuds... brilliant way to grow never used a garden tool of any sort to plant or lift, not an amazing crop but 1.5kg for the first plant I am fine with that!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 15:12 »
According to my records, I've grown Charlotte 3 times, and if I remember correctly, most of them flowered for 2 out of the 3 years, so I'm guessing that weather conditions during the growing season must play a part.

Once the foliage starts to die back the tubers won't grow much bigger - 'furtling' is a good way of making sure they're big enough, but not actually too big for your requirements.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 15:17 »
Yes JayG one or two of my plants have flowers but very few . The plant I lifted today had no flowers.

xx
Charlotte Potatoes

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 11:03
by aelf
xx
Charlotte Potatoes

Started by cissie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 22:16
by cissie
xx
Charlotte potatoes

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 08:28
by hectic
xx
charlotte potatoes

Started by Sue33 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 09:26
by Sue33

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.