Potting on and pricking out seedlings

• 4 Replies

Elcie

Potting on and pricking out seedlings
« on: April 16, 2009, 20:45 »
I have spent hours today pricking out seedlings and potting plants into bigger pots including lots of different brassicas, cucumbers, chillis and strawberries.  If someone had told me a year ago that I would spend so much time on veg growing I would have thought they were mad!

A suggestion too for those in the middle of this at the moment.  I was pricking out Kale plants and got to 20 and decided that would be enough plants for me (I have learnt after the 120 odd tomato plants I pricked out of 2 trays!) and wondered what to do with the 50 or 60 seedlings remaining.  I first considered pricking them out into pots and putting them on Freecycle but then I thought - hey, why not put them on there as they are?  In the tray?  I did this and was amazed by the response.  So, if you have some seedlings left over, put them on there, they are bound to go to a good home and you won't have to prick them all out first!

upert

• Experienced Member
Re: Potting on and pricking out seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 21:14 »
or maybe sow less seeds?

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 21:16 »
I've got a lfriend who runs a community allotment with access for all, raised beds, toilets, greenhouses, electricity, the works and she will take any extra seedlings that I have for sale. Seems reasonable to me as she gives me lifts all over the place.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 21:28 »
"I was pricking out Kale plants and got to 20 and decided that would be enough plants for me"

I prick out a few (20% or so) as second plants-per-pot towards the edge of a pot that I have already pricked out to. That way I can tolerate a few failures - just move the "extra" into the failed pot.  Then thin out the extras in a week or two.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 22:28 »
Very slightly off topic...

I decided to go with polybags for potting on this year - 3" and 5", and bye and large I'm very happy with them.

However, I have a friend who runs a B&B from an old farmhouse he rents who I've encouraged to open up a part walled garden that has been left to rack and ruin. Amongst a stack of other great stuff we've stumbled on, we found an enormous pile of small terracotta pots - mainly 2" and 3" - there must be over a thousand of them!

Unfortunately, having endured who knows how many winters, there's not many whole ones left, but I managed to fill a bucket with some this afternoon (in the rain) and I scrubbed half a dozen up this evening.

They are wonderful!  :)

If I remember, I'll take a camera with me next time I'm up there.

xx
pricking out/potting on

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 22:18
by DD.
xx
Pricking out Onion Seedlings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 09:38
by Eblana
xx
Pricking out celeriac seedlings

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 17:27
by Kristen
xx
Pricking out chill seedlings

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 15:10
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 38 queries.