Sunflowers

• 3 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Sunflowers
« on: August 17, 2015, 16:41 »
Hi folks. I like to try different types of sunflower, I'm always looking for the best to cut for the house.  This year I grew 4 varieties, with each one I started half in pots and sowed the other half direct, then put them together in 4 groups. The difference is amazing.  One lot has much bigger better flowers, bigger stronger plants and flower later.  Much the best.  However...I can't remember which ones were sown direct and which in pots  ???  I think it was the direct sown ones that are the best but can't be sure! Want to get it right for next year, any thoughts anyone?  Thanks.

Flowertot

Re: Sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 20:53 »
I suspect you're right about it being the direct sown ones which have done best. This year I carefully nurtured 2 varieties of sunflowers for cutting - Valentine and Vanilla Ice - from seed to seedlings, to potting on, to planting them out. They are nowhere near as tall and strong as the motley crew of self-sown ones which popped up from last year and my son transplanted as seedlings "to save them" from me  :lol: as they were growing in amongst the potatoes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:42 »
Yup, self sown ones in the garden are better than the 'cared for' ones on the plot  ::)

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:19 »
Thanks folks, really pleased to hear that.  Won't bother faffing with pots next year
I'm having a go with Vanilla Ice Flowertot, what must be the direct sown ones are just coming into there own, looking really good. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:20 by BumbleJo »

xx
Sunflowers

Started by weathergirl on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 09:54
by Plottered
xx
sunflowers

Started by SUTTY1 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 22:29
by SUTTY1
xx
sunflowers

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:26
by gobs
xx
Sunflowers

Started by Jd1980 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 17:30
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 36 queries.