Advice please.

• 6 Replies

karenjayne

Advice please.
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:57 »
I have 3 chickens.  last weekend Crystal  had a broken egg inside her.  when i discovered this problem, SnowyII had already had a go at pulling her rear feathers out, due to having so much blood around her head.  I could not find a vet, but left Crystal to recover.  She not eating much, but drinking plenty of water.  I put her back with the other 2, everything seemed ok, until yesterday pm saw snowyII having a go at atacking her feathers again.  This time i have removed her, but when should i let her back with the other two.  She can see them, but her best mate Goldie is well upset, she in a different coop.  SnowyII and Crystal are about 9-10 months old.  Goldie is a little older.   Crystal was head chicken.

rachelr

Re: Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:03 »
Did you bath her nether regions and maybe do a gentle internal to make sure all the broken egg is removed.  A long soak in a warm bath is always enjoyable for the hens, mine quite often fall asleep (ps at leaste ten mins but keep the water warm). This is sometimes all they need as they push what is left out. If there is egg left inside it wil go bad and she will get a lot worse. Please take her to a vet.

Separating her will distress her but maybe the best thing if you do not have any purple spray. If she has broken skin then spray with the purple spray and this will discourage the others from pecking her. They seem to be drawn to red areas.

good luck

karenjayne

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:10 »
Yes, she has been in the bath a couple of times. I had a good poke around! I am  sure every thing is out of her.  She in my other chicken.  it was   the bully  who been seperated.  have rung round a couple of vets, but none deal with chickens.  Maybe as we live in the countryside. 

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 19:57 »
Karen I was hoping some one else would have come along to give you a little more advice. Ok I have been told not to separate them for too long even when they can see each other.

Ok some where on here people use beak protectors. thios stops them attacking other hens. Sorry for the mis understanding |I thought you meant the poorly hen was being separated.

Hens will fight to get their position back or create a new hier a4rhy. If there is not too much blood involved and just featers leave them to sort it out. It can seem a bit brutal but this is how hens do things in the main.

I hope it all works out ok
Rachel

karenjayne

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 21:38 »
thanks for that advice.  I decided to put them all back together just before bed time, hoping it will settle them again tomorrow.  the poorly one is still not eating much, but seems to be perking up abit.  we will just have to see what tomorrow brings

rachelr

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 22:22 »
how did you get on karen?

karenjayne

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:57 »
Thanks for asking how things were going.  The three decided to get on better again, and went on holiday and all seemed ok.  we been home a few days, and now crystal the  one who was poorly one, has gone down hill so much.  Was not expecting her to last  the night, but she has, but just sitting still in nest box with no energy.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Hen run advice?

Started by Hengist on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 22:30
by poultrygeist
xx
advice please

Started by darren the gardener on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 14:48
by Tony H
smiley
Advice

Started by country_bumpkin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 03:12
by tamnwill

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 34 queries.