New to all this and really need advice.

• 27 Replies

karlooben

Re: New to all this and really need advice.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 17:48 »
well done cant wait for piccies an all those stories  :D :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

oborne27

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 19:02 »
Hi,
Don't give up. I have only had my 3 bantams for 36hrs and alreday laid 3 eggs!!!!
I have a coop and run (bought from ebay) cost £390 - its brilliant.
If you want I can let you know where it came from.
the coop is 3ft sq and the run is 12ft long.
they have plenty of room and I use barl chips as a base with wood shavings in the coop.
they love it.
 :)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 19:27 »
I get all my chicken consumables from Flyte So Fancy and I can confirm that they are, indeed, very nice.  Before I found this forum and got my girls, when I was ordering everything I needed and getting set up, the lady there, Anne, was absolutely invaluable with her advice and, I felt, was very honest about telling me that there was lots of things that I simply didn't need to buy.  

It's probably a bit mad to order everything from Dorset when I live in Bucks (I know for a fact there is a supplier of the Ex-Bats Crumbs about a twenty minute drive away near Whipsnade) but there is the convenience factor of having everything delivered to the back door by the lovely Tony from a certain courier company (those bags of chook food are heavy!) and I think it is good to support local (ahem) small businesses who provide such a good service.  So I am a loyal Flyte So Fancy customer.  Advert over...  :D

karlooben

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 20:02 »
they are brillant ,i have local places to me but i use them  :D :Dsuper fast postage service as well.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 10:16 »
Agree, I've had loads of bits and pieces from them, including their marvellous auto pop hole thing.  I'm not a girl for gadgets, but that one is brilliant, worth every penny.

Glad you've taken the leap, you definately won't regret it. Hens are a joy, and a worry ::).

I've just been perched with mine for the last 30 minutes trying to work out who is doing sloppy yellow poos.  I'm non the wiser, but I do know its not Pearl, and that's who I was worried about.  She's done a nice big firm one for me this morning :lol:  Clever girl.

greeneyesgreedy

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 15:48 »
*******UPDATE***** OK coop has arrived, and very nice it is too....2 days til the girls arrive!!!!!!!
Can anyone offer advice on 'homing' the birds when I get them back. Anne from FlytesoFancy recommends putting them straight into the house and leaving them in til the next morning, so they are'homed'.... what if they get hungry or thirsty in there??
AM I being too nit-picky now?? Just want them to settle in with the least stress.

Thanks in advance x :(
3 boys..1 husband...4 hens coming on Sunday!!!

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 16:18 »
The Battery Hen Welfare Trust recommended this too and it's what we did.  Although, generally, food and water don't go in the house, we put both in overnight so they had everything they needed and could get some peace and quiet and feel safe.

We got our birds from Coventry (still getting used to those Midlands accents!), drove them straight back down (since they were ex-batts, I was terrified that the stress of the journey would kill them and we opened the boxes with great trepidation when we got home), put them straight in the house (which we had all ready for them), shut the door and left them alone.

We opened the coop door into the run the next day, took the food and water out of the house and placed it just outside the door (of the coop, inside the run), and went away and left them to it.  They had all crept out of the house by lunchtime and have been getting more and more confident ever since.

Which coop did you get?  Tell us everything!

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 16:22 »
Oh, and I should say we left it about ten days before we opened the door of the run and let them free range around the garden.  I worried and worried about when was the right time to do this but my thinking was - if they're not comfortable, they won't venture out of the run!

The first day, I think only Dolly and Queenie ventured out, and then no further than a foot or so from the door to the run.  It took a few days but they're all out and about now.  Any day now, I am expecting to go out and see one of them going "Wheeeeeee!" down my daughter's Little Tikes slide!  :D

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 16:24 »
I Would go with what you have been told, They carry out this rehoming so many times and know best! We have always arrranged to collect birds in the evening so that they have been fed and are ready for a nights sleep. That way they seem to settle down quite well for the night abd are rested before they have to face the outside world. Havent had ex battery hens before but are on the list for 12 and waiting impatently.
Let us know how you get on and try not to tie yourself up in knotts before they arrive....plenty of time for that when they get to you :D
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

greeneyesgreedy

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 16:35 »
Thanks. Thats great.

I got a Maggies 6 coop with 9' run from FoF. Waiting for misery-guts (my anti-choock husband) to come home and help set up the run.

I think putting them straight in and shutting the coop door will be a good option..hopefully I will manage it (????) and let them into the run the next morning.

Going to look at some orpingtons and barnevelders tonight..wish me well...
x :wub:

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 16:44 »
Oooh, that's a lovely house, I'm very jealous - I found Flyte So Fancy after I'd bought my house from another supplier (that I have seen mentioned on here) and the house was an absolute nightmare to put together, nothing fitted, all the screw holes were in the wrong place and, when I contacted aforementioned supplier, they said it "wasn't possible" that it didn't fit together, i.e. that I must be a liar.  Very bitter about the whole experience.

Yes, you'll manage it.  I'd never so much as touched a (live) chicken before I got mine home but the BHWT people just told me to put my thumbs on their backs and cover their wings with my hands when I lifted them out of the box, so they didn't flap and panic.  I did just that and had no trouble in popping them in the house (I did it via the larger back door rather than stuff them through the small front entrance) and then just closed the door and left them.

You wait, ol' Misery Guts will come around when they start following him around and being all affectionate!

greeneyesgreedy

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 16:49 »
Thanks. I think he will too....He's a man for the birds!!!

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 18:23 »
Well wether he is a leg or a breast man a chicken has the lot :lol:

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
smiley
Advice

Started by country_bumpkin on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 03:12
by tamnwill
xx
I want some advice please

Started by eggsandgardens on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 17:52
by mumsy
xx
Fox advice

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 13:07
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 39 queries.