Tumours?

• 3 Replies

Tessa

Tumours?
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:21 »
One of my free range hens hasn't laid any eggs since mid January.  She is now ever so slightly off her food but otherwise seems fine - no sneezing, coughing or anything like that.  But, the other day I did come across something that on first glance looked like a funny potatoe, but it had a bit of blood on it.  It is, what I think, a tumour or cyst.  I have done a bit of searching on the Net for this kind of info but to no avail.  Does anyone know what I am talking about?  Unfortunately, at the moment, I just cannot afford to take her to the vet.

Thanks

Tessa

Kate and her Ducks

Tumours?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:41 »
Not an expert at all but there was a thread on here a bit ago about something called a lash I think. It comes up if you put lash into the search function. There is a picture. Is this like what your girl laid?
Not an expert on chooks but the nature of tumours (certainly in humans) is not to get shed but to cling on to continue their detructive work.

Sure one of the experts will be along to help in no time. Good luck with her.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Tumours?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 08:41 »
Like Kate says it could be a lash which is the shedding of the lining of pary of the reproductive tract. This is usually caused by an infection and may lead on to other egg laying problems.  Has she laid any soft shelled eggs previously /

Ot are you saying that your hen has a tumour attached to here somewhere ?

Tessa

Tumours?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 23:23 »
Thanks for that.  That is indeed what it was.  Although firmer than the ones in the picture - they look really horrible, those ones.  But yes, they do actually look like a chicken nugget.  She did lay just one soft shell egg a good couple of months ago but that was the only other thing wrong with her.

So, because I can't do anything about it, I will just make sure she's got the usual food and water and a bit of TLC.  The other girl always keeps her company which is nice.  Whether she'll pull through or not, we will see.

I really do appreciate your answers here.

clip
Tumours??

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2015, 19:25
by Prod
clip
Update on Tumours?---wasps

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2015, 19:10
by grinling

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 28 queries.