Is it too late?

• 12 Replies

allotmentann

Is it too late?
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:08 »
Just wondering is it too late to start perenniels that say sow in spring on the packet (or March to May etc)? Will I be wasting time and money trying to get them growing? I know they won't be flowering before next year anyway but I would really like to get some ready to flower next year if possible. Thank you  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it too late?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:22 »
I'd give them a go, the weather is not exactly summer-like at the mo is it  ;)
Seed spread naturally just grows when the conditions are right so as long as you provide those - I think they'll grow  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:30 »
Thank you, I will give it a go and see what happens. I have not tried perenniels until this year. Growing veg from seed has given me the confidence to have a try. Which is why I am a bit late ordering seed! :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:58 »
Sowing them later just means that any possible flowers for this year may wait until next
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 20:58 »
hubbys allways bringing me packs of bulbs and stuff over the plant by date he gets them for 20 pence so no loss if they dont come up
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 16:18 »
Hi thanks for that Sunshineband, that was what I was hoping. I am happy to wait for the flowers.
Chrissie B do you generally do well with past their date things? I am hoping that I will have a reasonable success rate! :)

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 15:51 »
I always do mine like Galliardias and california poppies, ice poppies, aquilegia this time of year for next sometimes I'm lucky and they flower this year if not up they pop stronger for next year.  Time to establish themselves in the warmer weather and be stronger for the cold, thats my theory anyway and they haven't let me down yet.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 17:53 »
Thanks so much for the reply, aquilegia is one of the seeds that I am trying, so i shall give them all a go  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 19:14 »
Thanks so much for the reply, aquilegia is one of the seeds that I am trying, so i shall give them all a go  :)

Love aquilegias - they should grow with no problems!! They can run rampant but will give you loads of extra plants for friends and family once they get going! :)

sarajane

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 22:21 »
I,ve got a lovely area with sweet williams in just coming into flower.  They were sown this time last year so yes, plenty of time

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 06:00 »

We love them too Ann!

A plot near us has a dedicated bed - just for them, and it looks a picture!

Also have some faves at home, which pop up every year!

allotmentann

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 07:18 »
Ah! Yes aquilegia are lovely. I was put off growing them for many years as I grew some in one garden and by the next year the whole garden was full of the (hate to call them this!) 'common' purple ones which grew everywhere and I couldn't remove! (Devonbarmygardener you are right when you say that they can run rampant!). The garden I have now has a few pink ones, which although they spread, do so slowly and remove easily if they come up in places that I don't want them. I have bought some beautiful double white seeds and a gorgeous soft lime green so I do hope that they grow. Although I do wonder if they will cross and I will not get the colours that I want. A whole bed full of them would look very beautiful Growster and I would love to have seen that.
Sarajane, it is very reassuring to hear that you have had success sowing later, I just didn't want to waste seed as it is so expensive (especially when you start to add seed compost etc. I am sure the cost of seeds has risen dramatically over the last few years). :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 10:44 »
I have a lovely pure white aquilegia that vanished last year but has reappeared this year which I'm pleased about and a beautiful pale pink with a varigated leaf.
This time of year though they don't half attract the greenfly!

xx
Is it to late sow?

Started by stompy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2012, 12:45
by arugula
xx
Am I Too Late...

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 19:44
by topgardener
xx
better late than never?

Started by catllar on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 14:18
by Goosegirl
xx
Am I too late.......

Started by pfitz13 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 11:03
by lovemyveg

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.