red `track marks` on hens legs

• 13 Replies

vicpic39

red `track marks` on hens legs
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:23 »
Hi all, ive had lots of advice from this forum and again need some help. Shirley hen has become listless over the last day and has red marks up both legs. the other girls have no marks and are fine. there was a softshelled egg yesterday and judging by the state of shirleys vent i think it was her. shes had this once before (Vet and antibiotics) and has never laid an egg as far as i can tell. sound bonkers perhaps but i wondered if the red marks were sign of infection. her legs are not scaly or scabby. many thanks.
victoria

Roughlee Handled

Re: red `track marks` on hens legs
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05 »
Any chance of a photo?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

vicpic39

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:45 »
i will try its taken me all morning to post due to problems with memory and im only 39! thanks for responding though!

vicpic39

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 19:17 »
Any chance of a photo?
[/qCrikey! ive taken dozens of photos and i failed to get a decent shot! If you imagine the front of a chickens leg, the scales are large, around the sides and back they become smaller. all the scales up the sides of her leg are red. only these small scales are red. it looks like somebody has painted stripes up her leg.
cheers vicuote]

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 19:43 »
Does sound like it could be infection. Have you tried picking them up and having a look at their feet to check that there is not infection tracking from their feet.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

vicpic39

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 19:51 »
Her feet are a bit red actually, any thoughts?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 19:53 »
Was thinking of things like bumble foot.

vicpic39

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 20:01 »
i have considered that but the redness is the only symptom. Its really odd. She also has mucky vent and i suspect she laid a soft shell. This is the second time shirleys been poorly in as many months bless her.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 20:11 »
I'm not really the person to talk to as I have ducks, really only guessing from what I have picked up here.
Do think you might need to talk to a vet as it does seem like infection can overwhelm hens quickly if serious. Not trying to be alarming but really don't know what I am talking about so best try and find an expert if she seems ill.

vicpic39

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 20:15 »
i will take her tommorrow, problem is the vet doesnt have a lot of chook experience. I have recently got a couple of ducks and i have to say they are far more hardy!
vic

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 20:23 »
.............Crikey! ive taken dozens of photos and i failed to get a decent shot! If you imagine the front of a chickens leg, the scales are large, around the sides and back they become smaller. all the scales up the sides of her leg are red. only these small scales are red. it looks like somebody has painted stripes up her leg.
cheers vicuote

Where there is a will there is a way.
Here are a few photos of one of my birds with an odd growth.  TIP. Photos of chickens are best taken at night when you can catch them easy.

Not forgetting Little Speck

or should I say Gizmo

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 20:37 »
Vic, I would ring around local vets for the best one used to dealing with chickens as non bird vets are next to useless in my experience. Our usual avain vet was on hols a while back so I needed to find another quickly and did after phoning around three or four. They are out there but just need to be tracked down. Treatment is very hit and miss if the vet isn't clued up on birds. Our latest vets family kept loads of chickens while he was growing up and you could certainly tell as he really knew his stuff.

Stuart, lovely girlie pics, I thought that was a 'mouth' even before I came to the eyes added pic, or are her eyes closed in the first pic?  :lol:

Jan.x

Rubellite

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 21:18 »
That is an odd growth! Regarding the gremlin, I rather fancy the norty step beckons! ::)
Actually I'll re-phrase that in case you thought I rather fancied the gremlin............
You'll be on the Thursday night norty step if you carry on, Rough. Er........no, I'll rephrase that too :unsure:
Actually I think I'll just say goodnight  :tongue2:

nzdunn

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 08:59 »
rough wot are you like, youve far too much time on your hands  :lol:

question
Odd marks on a hen

Started by patandlaura on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 19:52
by themagicaltoad1
xx
white marks

Started by brrian on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 02:30
by hillfooter
question
Stretch Marks

Started by Phil Occifer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 14:50
by joyfull
xx
Black marks on combs. Help please

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 14:22
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 38 queries.