Another Elephant garlic question

• 5 Replies

cc

Another Elephant garlic question
« on: June 13, 2021, 17:07 »
I am struggling with this elephant garlic stuff. I have maybe 20 plants spread round the garden. Planted last year probably October. They are all producing flower spikes but the bulbs look very small and they haven't formed into multiple bulbs?
Confused should I be waiting till next year to harvest? Should I remove the spikes either way. Also it's far to hot today.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 13:51 by JayG »

Hampshire Hog

Re: Another 🐘 garlic question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 19:09 »
You can remove the spikes and cook with them. My suspicion is the garlic is suffering due to this years odd weather. I would make sure that they are well watered. I don’t think you would normally need to wait till next year to harvest but it could be later this year due to late spring. HH
Keep digging

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Another Elephant garlic question
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 13:54 »
Hi cc - I've retitled your original topic (this one) and removed the duplicate you felt you needed to create (have kept this one because you've already had a reply to it.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cc

Re: Another 🐘 garlic question
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 21:29 »
You can remove the spikes and cook with them. My suspicion is the garlic is suffering due to this years odd weather. I would make sure that they are well watered. I don’t think you would normally need to wait till next year to harvest but it could be later this year due to late spring. HH

As usual I am confused. I have dug up two. They had split into single bulbs but were quite small. They were growing in the worse place others are in better locations. I am afraid I eat them so no picture available.
Now do I dig them all up dry and them. Replant the mono bulbs for next year (possibly eat a few?)
Any that have split keep some for replanting next year and some for scoffing now?
The main question is do I have to get them out of the ground??

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 06:12 »
You can eat them or save them for re-planting in October (the rounds will grow as normal). You can also leave them where they are and they'll come back up later, small single bulbs will get bigger and form cloves and split bulbs will be really big or grow into individual plants.

cc

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 10:27 »
Thanks all

xx
Elephant Garlic question

Started by emmalm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 19:34
by nobby
clip
Elephant garlic question

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 09:39
by Middle Eastern Gardener
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
elephant garlic

Started by slowcompost on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 20:34
by waddecar

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 39 queries.