Moment of madness...

• 2 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Moment of madness...
« on: May 29, 2011, 17:27 »
I went to a poultry auction this morning, the plan was to look out for a couple of young chicks I could raise alongside Epic, my 4 week old chick of dubious parentage.

Somehow, for whatever absurd reason, I totally forgot what I was there for and ended up buying a pair of year old splash Jersey Giants. What was I thinking of???   :ohmy:

Oh, having just read how docile they are I think I'll have to educate the cockerel as he attacked both me & the auction staff when we tried to put him in the box...

PaulineM

Re: Moment of madness...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 19:27 »
Hi
I don't think I would be safe let loose at a poultry auction, I don't think we have them here in N.I.
What was the auction like? Is it cheaper to buy at them or just that all sorts comes together.  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Re: Moment of madness...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 19:48 »
I certainly shouldn't have been let loose!

The lots were going for silly prices, some cheap, others not so, and there didn't seem to be any pattern. The variety was enormous, bantams through to large fowl, chicks (some with mums) to older birds, name a breed and there was sure to be at least one lot. Vorwerks had a good showing, also Sebrights, gold & silver, Sablepoots, Orpingtons, Jungle Fowl, Pekins, Araucanas, Polish, Leghorns, Millefleur, Welsummers, Marans, RIR, Sussex, Old English/Indian/Cornish Game, Appenzellers, Favorelles, Silkies, all colours, hens in 1, 2, 3, pairs, trios, quartets ... the list goes on - and it was a charity auction so local charities benefitted as well.

Ironically I looked at a couple of lots for Orpington chicks, buff, gold laced & jubilee but decided not to bid on them as they grow quite big. Silly me...   :wacko:

xx
Supermarket egg madness

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 21:26
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Panic Moment

Started by Hawkins on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 21:26
by Hawkins
xx
Saved at the last moment!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 16:03
by min200
xx
Danger...will contain an Arghh Moment

Started by tiptopchickendon on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 19:34
by tiptopchickendon

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.