rubbish corner ??

• 15 Replies

teasmade!

• 3rd Pumpkin Contest 2011
rubbish corner ??
« on: April 15, 2011, 22:12 »
do you have a corner that seems to gain rubbish no matter how hard you try to clear it??
i call it Trebus Corner,( Bless his heart if you remember him) my hubby and i already have one and today we cleared it but i know it will happen again!!!!

does this happen alot as new to allotmenting?? rubble, bits and pieces and springs from a matteress my husband swears is burried deap!!!! we will dig it up, just missing the fabric!!

plus hung all the bits of metal on leftover tree stub as this years Christmas decorations, just getting ahead !!

just abit of a laugh as if not will cry with all the weeds !! :( :( :(
dig dig dig dig digging, rid me of those little weeds....

moonglow

Re: rubbish corner ??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 22:21 »
True :).

1st time allotment owner here and all im doing at the moment is digging, burning and clearing so yes there is a corner im using for rubbish.

God i hate to do it, but its the ownly way i feel it can be done atm and look tidy.

But il admit im loving it.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 22:29 »
Temporarily the 'compost' corner  ;)  It will be relocated, but add weeds, pick the other bits out eventually and bobs your uncle  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

teasmade!

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 22:40 »
we have couch grass?? Twitch?? and the roots are soooo deep and havent the time to burn as would take hours and I cannot leave a burning pile on its own while i'm not there!!

so have decided to build a bin and cover it for the next, at least 3 years!! but still not sure if this will work?? what do i do with it as you can't dig it, it just comes up in a big pile including mud?? can you compost it?? thats let alone the mattress springs??

ex-cavator

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 23:03 »
Not on my allotment! But, after nearly 18 months, I'm still constantly digging up bits of bl***y carpet and having to take them home to put in the wheelie bin  :mad:

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 23:07 »
I have a half plot so I always feel obliged to tidy the end that joins my neighbour.
The I work my way upwards, but never seem to get to the shed end.
I plan to cut back the brambles and put in a pond one day!
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

prakash_mib

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 23:57 »
I do have a rubbish corner and I have to maintain it with carpets, black polythene top, couple or strayed slabs and the pallet bin is full of rubbish. they are just breeding ground for my slow worms. so I do contribute to environment by keeping the rubbish
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:31 »
we have couch grass?? Twitch?? and the roots are soooo deep and havent the time to burn as would take hours and I cannot leave a burning pile on its own while i'm not there!!

so have decided to build a bin and cover it for the next, at least 3 years!! but still not sure if this will work?? what do i do with it as you can't dig it, it just comes up in a big pile including mud?? can you compost it?? thats let alone the mattress springs??

It is generally not recommended to compost couch but if it's in a bin on its own you might be OK.

I find that forking it out (rather than digging) is the way to go, and then I put it in the green wheelie bin at home.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:28 »
mattress springs? my grandad laways used to dig a big hole and put an old mattress in as well as newspapers ect then cover it with soil and plants his beans on top,, always had a fantastic crop of beans as the mattrees held water...

katiekate

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:35 »
"In the garden, beauty is just a byproduct, the real business is sex and death." -Samuel Llewellyn

Yesterday I killed some slugs and dug up a condom wrapper.. I dread to think what the former occupiers got up to..

I have a large mound of unwanted gubbins at the back of my plot. It does hold off the brambles, well for the time being at least! 

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 16:56 »
One way to deal with couch roots is to keep a bin with water in it and place couch plants shaken free of soil into the water, weight them down with a rock and lid the bin. After a few months, when the plants have turned to mush, you have a very useful feed for plants. So yes, it is in fact a compost corner.

millimole

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 17:57 »
Rubbish? I could sell the council a mountain of the stuff! The previous holder hoarded the stuff - mainly wire in every known configuration, length, colour, type and shape. I moved so much of the stuff to the site skip while there was one, but I'm still finding it - in the 'second' shed, under the corrugated tin, behind the old windows, under the tree trunks.
Just don't get me started on the contents of the 'second' shed - I've thrown out carrier bags of carrier bags, there's jars of mysterious brown fluid, several old wellingtons - and that's just the stuff I can see.
(Two sheds? you ask - yes and a falling down greenhouse, which is presumably where all the bl**dy glass all over the plot has come from)  :mad:   
Two plots with The Leicester Permanent Society - still learning.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 18:07 »
mattress springs? my grandad laways used to dig a big hole and put an old mattress in as well as newspapers ect then cover it with soil and plants his beans on top,, always had a fantastic crop of beans as the mattrees held water...

oh this explains such a lot!!!  When I first moved into my house, I dug a bed at the bottom of the garden for a little rose garden and was mystified by the numerous coiled metal bits I was digging up and was convinced someone had buried a bed in the garden for some reason   :lol:   As the previous owner wasn't much of a gardener, the entire garden was lawn but it's highly possible that sometime in the past had once had a veggie garden  ;)

Christine

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 20:44 »
About half the plots on my site have a rubbish corner for some reason. The scrap man has done a roaring trade over the past few years with what has come off rubbish corners on various plots.

I inherited a half decent plot and have finally removed most of the strange objects that people leave behind but still keep an area for composting and storing of sacks of leaves (well tis rubbish with a purpose you might say).

teasmade!

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 20:59 »
Thanks so much for your comments fantastic to know we are not the only ones with a rubbish corner!!

Well the new bin is almost fall and we still have 6 beds to weed so may need another one?? will try the drowning of said weeds and use as a feed such a brilliant idea. i have such a choice of roots so will pick the better ones, it will be like shopping for fruit and veg   :D :D

love the mattress idea but not sure hubby will agree as still pulling it up but just odd springs and they have to be dug out and they are deep!! heehee

as for the digging out said roots we have come (finally with great sighs!!) to the realisation that yes you are completely right forking is the way to go and the only satisfying moment is when you pull the long ones out and they are intact. we have a competition going on now as who can pull the longest but sadly he is in the lead but i will try harder!! :tongue2:

xx
Rubbish compost or composted rubbish.

Started by squelly on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 20:19
by Growster...
xx
How to dig my last corner

Started by Sweet Pea 2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 11:05
by Kristen
question
Some advice on an awkward corner please

Started by mountainvicar on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 23:11
by peapod
xx
shaded, cooler corner

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 20:45
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 39 queries.