Wellington Boots

• 10 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Wellington Boots
« on: November 06, 2020, 19:33 »
November issue of Gardeners' World has a welly boot best buy feature with prices from £29.99 to £180.
Do you get what you pay for ? How long do they last?  I've bought some at the lower end of the price range and used them regularly for walking and veg plot , the problem I've found is splitting on the side by the toes and lasting about 12 months.

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Growster...

Re: Wellington Boots
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 05:47 »
Good subject for this time of year!

We bought Hunters years ago, and they just rotted after many years (the heels were a bit small, and sunk into the lawn), so we reverted to Dunlop Greens at around a tenner! We used to have a lot of holly around the garden, so any wellie would puncture at some stage, £100 (phew), or £10!

One tip though, is to buy some instep reinforced insoles, as they increase the insulation, make them a snugger fit, and you can walk in them all day! Just a few quid on Ebay!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 05:48 by Growster... »

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 09:15 »
To be honest as I find I get cold in wellies, I only wear them if I’m doing a ‘wet’ job. So a cheap pair does for that, I did buy a pretty pair of ankle high wellie type shoe in Lidl earlier in the year, I now use these to walk up tge Allotment to ‘do’ the chickens when it’s wet, I can get them on & off easily, which is great if I drive round cos then I’m able to stand on 1 leg as I change into them. I do tend to change footwear anyway if I drive as I don’t want Chicken cr@p in my car lol
P.s is it still the law/correct you’re not supposed to drive in wellies?

Edit, no it’s not illegal to drive in wellies must have been one of those folklore subjects lol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:17 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 09:18 »
You lucky folks being able to get wellies to fit! I've got high insteps and short toes; am a size five and a half shoe but usually wear a six. Wellies to fit come in a size 8. So I walk out of them. So wellies are not a good thing. Sadly.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 10:31 »
Just invested in a new pair of wellies from our local farm supplies shop.  Dunlop's at around a tenner. They also had other Dunlop ones in a range of prices, but I didn't want the ones that look like tractor tyres on the bottom because they pick up too much muck and mud. 

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 12:40 »
If you puncture them (like what I do)   give them a plaster of brown parcel tape.    I can puncture cheap and expensive, so cheap does me.   :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 17:58 »
I bought a pair of Dunlop's quite cheep basically to clean the car and walking about in the garden not for digging I've got a pair of wellingtons that are  safety wellingtons part of our uniform issue when i was at work they must be ten years old and still going strong good for digging and general work

my son in law gave me a pair of his cast off' wellingtons nothing wrong with them and they are the Rolls Royce of wellingtons padded inside really comfy i never asked him how much they actually cost but i suspect they where quite expensive and something i wouldn't pay that sort of money for wellingtons myself

someone said to me down the allotment i bet those wellingtons  set you back a bob or two i just grinned  :D

jezza

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 18:53 »
Hello my wellies have Vitall written on them they have internal padding support round the ankle area inside are very comfortable  with a steel toe cap ,made in Italy got them from a shoe and boot manufacturer in Sheffield they imported them £22,00 + postage   jezza

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 19:05 »
Grubs frostline for me !
Mainly used for beachcombing and fishing , warm and light because of the neoprene and have been using the current pair for 5 years. :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 20:56 »
My last pair came from Wilko's ( I think ) for about a tenner so it's interesting to read other members spending similar amounts .

If you puncture them (like what I do)   give them a plaster of brown parcel tape.    I can puncture cheap and expensive, so cheap does me.   :D  Mrs Bouquet

Very true and Sod's law it will happen!!  :mad: :mad:

The cleaning advice says to wash with cold soapy water , store out of direct sunlight , away from heat source but not in cold shed or garage which can cause shrinking , splitting or cracking . They suggest investing in a silicone spray or boot buffer which will help the rubber degrading.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 23:20 »
My last pair came from Wilko's ( I think ) for about a tenner so it's interesting to read other members spending similar amounts .

Very true and Sod's law it will happen!!  :mad: :mad:

The cleaning advice says to wash with cold soapy water , store out of direct sunlight , away from heat source but not in cold shed or garage which can cause shrinking , splitting or cracking . They suggest investing in a silicone spray or boot buffer which will help the rubber degrading.

Well they would say that, buy more stuff.   The only thing I make certain of, is that they are put upside down on poles (broom handles)  about 2 feet off the ground.   I don't want critters in my boots !!!  Mrs B

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 50 queries.