My new lawn

• 5 Replies

mrs bouquet

My new lawn
« on: June 30, 2019, 16:39 »
 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:  I spent hours out on it, trying to sew seed onto the bare patches, and imagine my horror early this morning to see the lovely new seed has completely scorched up.  So back to square one.  I cannot shade them as there too many.   I have been out and watered them today, but is the damage done beyond repair ?     Mrs Bouquet.
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

Re: My new lawn
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 16:48 »
hello try sowing grass seed in seed trays use John innes seed compost 12 inch deep in a seed tray should germinate in 4-5 days  when grass is 2 inches high rake out the bare patches and place the sods in place its an old method bt (Before Turf) that an even older Master Groundsman showed me many years ago and I still use in very warm weather its easier to water  jezza

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 11:42 »
Thanks Jezza, that is a good tip.  I have been out early this morning, and had a fiddle with them, and chucked some more seed around to see what happens,  I shall have to be more vigilant with watering though.
A very elderly gent from the Garden Club (he wins everything)  suggested I do it in the autumn ?  regards, Mrs Bouquet

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 18:50 »
It really was very hot and I'm not surprised that they scorched.  It is often recommended to sow grass seed in September, when the soil is still warm but temperatures are generally a bit lower.

If you can afford the grass seed to have another go, then it looks as though it's going to be a little cooler over the next week or so, but dry - you'll still need to water frequently.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 14:50 »
I have given up now, it is all starting to look too dry, and I am not going to put the sprinkler on each day.  It is a waste of water and too expensive.    I shall wait now until mid September and have another go. :(  Mrs Bouquet

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 18:33 »
Keep that seed in a safe place.  I put mine in the shed last month to scatter this autumn and picked up the box this morning to find a mouse had chewed a hole in the bottom and most of it ended on the shed floor.  I hope the mice found it funny!

xx
lawn help

Started by juliec on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 09:31
by juliec
xx
New lawn

Started by scabs on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 17:18
by scabs
xx
What was in my lawn?

Started by whistler on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post December 31, 2007, 10:35
by Selkie
xx
Should I lay a new lawn?

Started by plum crumble on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 21:56
by iggyboy60

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 45 queries.