Pea moth?

• 14 Replies

Salmo

Pea moth?
« on: May 12, 2011, 14:42 »
My kelverdon wonder peas sown on 18th March are just coming into flower. I usually cover peas with an enviromesh tent until flowering is over to prevent pea moth from laying there eggs.

Being ealy do I need to cover?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Pea moth?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 14:46 »
I'm going to say not - they don't usually emerge until June, but there's nothing like a belt and braces job.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 14:47 »
it's really up to you, I don't bother and have had very few damaged pods.
The OBs on our site never bother either, perhaps your area has more trouble with it  :(

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 15:02 »
Thanks DD. I think I will cover. This season seems to be 2 weeks early so the moths could well be around.

Our site is bad for pea moth. Many just grow mange tout or sugar snap to avoid the problem.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 15:06 by Salmo »

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:46 »
Does any one have any experience of using pheremone traps to control pea moth?

These to be used by farmers to warn them when pea moth are on the wing so that they can spray at the most effective time.

Defenders imply on their website that a trap will protect 20m of row which I interpret as moths within a 10 metre radius of the trap.http://www.defenders.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/33/products_id/57

£7.50 is a bit expensive  for my small crop but a 10 metre radius would probably cover my 2 neighbours crops as well. The shared cost would be well worthwhile especially as the traps are effective all season.

Does it work?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:50 »
No, I don't think it works like that.

The pheromone attracts a percentage of the male moths and give the farmer an idea when the moths are active so that they can spray for them.  The females who lay the eggs are not attracted and continue to lay their eggs.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 13:16 »
That was my understanding but Defenders do use the word control and not reduce. A bit like the difference between immuity and resistance.

Perhaps it does control within a short distance.? I can see that with all males going into the trap they will not be available to mate with females within the 10m radius. There is surely nothing to stop mated females coming in from outside and laying their eggs on the peas.

I will email Defenders and report back.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 13:24 »
It will only stop the moths from mating as it only attracts male moths. If females have  already been fertilised  before the male has been enticed to the trap they will be free to lay eggs. 

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 12:15 »
Defenders reply to my email
"You are correct in that male moths are attracted to the traps and so are then not available to mate with females.  Of course if the local population of pea moths in your surrounding neighbourhood is large, e.g. you are in the countryside, with local wild vetch/pea plants around, or on a large allotment), the effectiveness of a single trap is likely to be low.  However, in an urban or suburban setting, with a relatively low background population of moths, effectiveness can be good.  So to answer your question, it does depend on your location and set up.

If you have a netting arrangement, with a fine enough mesh to effectively exclude pea moths from your peas and you are rotating row position annually, I should stick with what works for you!

In other words pheromone traps are only effective where there is not really a problem. Which is what we thought.

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 12:25 »
Our site is bad for pea moth. Many just grow mange tout or sugar snap to avoid the problem.

Can I ask why would sugar snap not have a pea moth problem? I understand the mangetout, but I thought sugar snap are the same as normal peas, but you can eat the pod so I'm not sure why it would make a difference to the moth. I grow only sugar snaps, and I cover them, and if that's not really necessary it would be great...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 12:34 »
Pea moth does attack sugar snap & mange tout, but you eat them - no doubt along with a very small grub before it has attacked the pea within.

Don't believe me? Google "sugar snap pea moth". "Which", RHS & Kings Seeds - maybe others, all say with sugar snap to protect against pea moth. I think they are quite authoritive organisations/businesses.

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 13:04 »
Pea moth does attack sugar snap & mange tout, but you eat them - no doubt along with a very small grub before it has attacked the pea within.
Mmmmmmm extra protein  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 14:43 »
Unless you eat sugarsnaps really small, most of them need stringing and I think you'd notice any problems then.

If the damage really is too small to see..............then all I can say is.....
they don't taste any different :lol:  :lol: 

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 17:01 »
Eugh... I really dislike the idea of eating hidden protein... Netting it is then.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 17:34 »
You can use flece or enviromesh.

xx
pea moth

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2023, 21:17
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Pea Moth - net or no net???

Started by plotment26 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 21:13
by plotment26
xx
PEA MOTH!! :(

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 09:24
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Pea Moth

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 30, 2024, 20:07
by Snow

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 34 queries.