New plot

• 5 Replies

Rich72

• Experienced Member
New plot
« on: August 07, 2015, 13:58 »
Made a start on my new plot yesterday. As you can imagine, it's a bit of a wilderness.
It's COVERED in weeds, so much so, I can't even measure it properly. Got the brush cutter to it yesterday morning and managed to cut some of it down to ankle height rather than shoulder height. I plan to set about again on Sunday morning and try and get the rest cut down. There are some things I would like to keep in there, a large Rosemary, a few raspberries, 2 large rhubarbs an apple and a cherry tree. Once I have the weeds to a more manageable height, will it be ok to just put weed killer on everything I don't want? I am not planning on planting anything new in there until my other raspberry canes arrive but will weed killer stay active? I have read that using brown vinegar with a teaspoon of salt and a dash of washing up liquid is a good weed killer.
I was trying to upload a picture but it says file is too large. Will keep trying

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: New plot
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 14:19 »
Glyphosate works on growing leaves, so you'd have to wait until the cut stems make some regrowth before spraying, with that.

ptarmigan

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 14:25 »
You can weedkiller (though as Stig says it only works on growing leaves.)  But you can also cover and leave, with thick weed suppressant or cardboard, the advantage of that is the weeds don't come back, as they will if you don't cover the ground after the weedkiller has done it's work.  You can then uncover a bit at a time and work on it. 

Or cover with cardboard, compost, mulch, manure and make a lasagna bed (google) which you can plant straight into.

Good luck with whatever you do - enjoy it!

galeey

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 15:52 »
I have strimmed and cleared my new plot. I have also had to cut down 2 hazelnut trees and some trees which over hang at one end of the plot. 1/4 of my plot has now turned into 1 major compost heap. i also have 16 bags of rubbish to get rid of.  Just started digging and i hit a pebble path that seems to go no where.  A neigbouring plot holder has made it quite clear he does not agree with chemicals so if i do decide to go down that route of weed killer i am going to have to be very sneeky about it lol.  i just keep trying to think i have all winter to get ready to plant in the spring. so many plans in my head. I am determined to get it done no matter what. so good luck with the new plot and keep on going.

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 16:04 »
I don't normally use any chemicals other than shop bought tomato food and grow more but my plot is literally a wilderness. Full of thistles, rosebay willow herb, nettles (although I have left those because they have caterpillars on them). It's far too big to weed by hand so I'm going to resort to chemical warfare

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 18:00 »
I have strimmed and cleared my new plot. I have also had to cut down 2 hazelnut trees and some trees which over hang at one end of the plot. 1/4 of my plot has now turned into 1 major compost heap. i also have 16 bags of rubbish to get rid of.  Just started digging and i hit a pebble path that seems to go no where.  A neigbouring plot holder has made it quite clear he does not agree with chemicals so if i do decide to go down that route of weed killer i am going to have to be very sneeky about it lol.  i just keep trying to think i have all winter to get ready to plant in the spring. so many plans in my head. I am determined to get it done no matter what. so good luck with the new plot and keep on going.

Your neighbour might not choose to but you can choose to, it's your plot. I don't usually use chemicals but I have had to resort to weed killer once or twice & have been doing so in my daughters garden that was 10 FT high in brambles, the whole 120 FT of it .
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
A new plot again!

Started by Caddi fuller-teabags on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 16:46
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
new plot taken on

Started by fastmonkey85 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 09:26
by DD.

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 30 queries.