Chicken neewbie!

• 14 Replies

leighb

Chicken neewbie!
« on: July 06, 2011, 14:09 »
Hi
New coop arrived a few days ago, so bought our 2 chickens yesterday, was advised to keep them in the coop all day so they can identify where there water and food is. Opened the coop this morning, hoping they would charge out and enjoy the garden,but they have stayed in all day??? is this normal, should i do something to try and get them out...
any advise would be great... :)

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken neewbie!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 14:40 »
It'll take a few days for them to settle down and get used to their new surroundings. Once they are a little more confident they will start to explore.

I would possibly look at getting a third chicken mind, the general advice is that 3 is the minimum number  to keep, this cuts down on the bullying etc. Remember they are a flocking creature. Some places including our local poultry center refuse to sell less than 3 birds when starting out.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 14:42 by Kenilworth »

leighb

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 16:31 »
Thanks for the info!
Will leave it a few days and take on board your comments about getting an other. :)

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 16:06 »

I would possibly look at getting a third chicken mind, the general advice is that 3 is the minimum number  to keep, this cuts down on the bullying etc. Remember they are a flocking creature. Some places including our local poultry center refuse to sell less than 3 birds when starting out.

Wow, I didn't know that Kenilworth. I've got 2 black rocks (had them for about 3 years) and never had any problems... in fact, I don't even think there's a 'boss' chicken!

Maybe I've just been very lucky!  :D
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 17:03 »
I think alot of the idea is that if you lose one the remaining chicken will fret more alone, so with a minimum of 3 there is always a companion until you can increase numbers again

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 17:14 »
I'd just add a word about the house from something you said about their knowing the house is where their food and drink was.

1   A house is NOT where a chicken lives.  We LIVE in houses but your chickens should spend all the hours of daylight foraging in their run and only return to the house to roost and lay if thet's where their nestboxes are.  This is why the run is every bit as important, if not more so, than the house, yet most newbie keepers focus entirely on the house and don't think about the run.
2   A house needs to provide a safe secure roost with perching space.  Vermin and preditor proof.  Dark and draft free but with ventilation, but no windows.
3  A run needs to provide a scrathing area freash grass preferably room to forage, create their dust baths and is where their food and water should be kept protected against the weather.  The run needs to provide shade and shelter from the weather for the birds and enough distractions to keep them active.

Get these priorities right and your birds should be well adjusted, bright and active.  So first I'd say if their food & water is in the house move it out and they'll soon be pecking about in their run.

Best wishes
HF
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 17:16 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 12:06 »
My Black Rock is Head Hen and does a very good job of it with very little bullying.  The only time she has a go at the others is when Meal Worms are offered.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

leighb

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 21:55 »
Thank you all for your input.. :)
I have a couple of questions to ask....and any advise would be fab

I have 2 nesting boxes in my coop,over the last few days 1 of them is being used as a toilet? is this normal?
Also I was told to leave the food inside the coop? any views on this?

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 23:01 »
Food in the coop is not needed and can get fouled which you don't want.

Check that non of the hens is sleeping in the nest box as this is usually when it would get soiled.  If you find one trying to sleep in there, lift her out and either wait until she has gone on the roost bar or using a piece of wood block off the nest box until the morning.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

dawnie77

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 23:07 »
im a chicken neewbie too lol fun init  :)
ive got 4 in the shed that all love to squash eachother in the same bed and seem to pooh init and then a coop with 4 younger chicks that dont even sleep in there beds. ive watched the bigger lot stand, pooh then sit back down lol neither of them seem to sleep on there perches.
hope you having as much fun as me lol

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 23:17 »
ive got 4 in the shed that all love to squash eachother in the same bed and seem to pooh init and then a coop with 4 younger chicks that dont even sleep in there beds. ive watched the bigger lot stand, pooh then sit back down lol neither of them seem to sleep on there perches.

Try to get them out of their bad habits by blocking off the nest boxes at night.  Try lifting them onto the perches on a night and they will soon get the hang of it.

Not sure what to do with the chicks as I have no experience with them.  If you let us know how old they are I am sure someone else will give you some advice.

dawnie77

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 23:41 »
learning lots everyday x so are they not suppose to sleep in the strawed area??? is that just for laying eggs????
None of my chickens are laying yet, the 4 bigger ones in the shed that all squash in together are about 14 weeks now so in theroy should i just remove all the nesting boxes????
the chicks are about 6 weeks give or take a week and they just huddle anywhere on the sawdust?
thanks for the info

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 23:55 »
Ours were 20 weeks old and 12 weeks old when we got them.  We had to lift them onto their perches at night for a while as they had been reared in barns and were not used to roosting.

The nest boxes are for egg laying so you could block them off until they are ready to lay.  Our Bovan Goldlines (20 weeks) were laying when we got them but our Black Rocks did not start laying til they were about 26 weeks old.  It depends on the breed and a bit of each's individuallity.

The chicks might be huddling for warmth so you need some advice from someone experienced with younger birds as they might still need to be under heat.

leighb

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:31 »

It is a lot of fun...every day i learn something new, this site is most helpful too, loads of great tips and advise! Its now day 5 of this new adventure and im thinking we need an extra run, so off to have a go at building one....here goes nothing...haha :lol:

dawnie77

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 11:34 »
thats what i did, they started on the grass with there coop and run, within a week i had cornered off 10ft square area in the top of the garden and now they have an 8ft square shed attached lol got no more room now so will need to try and control myself lmao
happy building xxx

xx
Chicken was almost put down

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 00:09
by Oliveview
xx
For the chicken who has everything......

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 16:30
by nerdle
xx
Chicken and cat

Started by Beano on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 19:44
by jinty1911
xx
chicken poo

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 19:34
by billathome65

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.