Protecting brassicas

• 4 Replies

teflon

• Experienced Member
Protecting brassicas
« on: May 06, 2009, 21:39 »
  I'm going to be planting some brassicas at the weekend(savoy &round cabbage,purple sprouting&cauli's),will debris netting(the scaffolding stuff)be fine enough to stop every pest or should i do anything else?
  I've recently read about "collars" to prevent root fly from attacking the roots.Would it be wise to use these too?

Erfurt

Re: Protecting brassicas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 22:44 »
  I'm going to be planting some brassicas at the weekend(savoy &round cabbage,purple sprouting&cauli's),will debris netting(the scaffolding stuff)be fine enough to stop every pest or should i do anything else?
  I've recently read about "collars" to prevent root fly from attacking the roots.Would it be wise to use these too?

Collars are a good thing. I use straw and have never had problems. Netting works against pigeons, this coupled with regular inspection and removal of eggs and caterpillars is good enough. Rotation, planting the season after spuds does me ok, helps avoid club root and scabby potatoes.

I have seen people use CDs on string and I may try this.

My Brassicas are not getting any bigger this year they have been sitting at stage one for a long time!!

I dont use debris net as it doesnt let enough light through.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 23:00 »

Collars are a good thing. I use straw and have never had problems. Netting works against pigeons, this coupled with regular inspection and removal of eggs and caterpillars is good enough. Rotation, planting the season after spuds does me ok, helps avoid club root and scabby potatoes.

I have seen people use CDs on string and I may try this.

My Brassicas are not getting any bigger this year they have been sitting at stage one for a long time!!

I dont use debris net as it doesnt let enough light through.

Ive had debris netting recommended by many growers, and there doesnt seem to be a light problem (on my plot anyway)
If it does cut the light a bit well with caulies it would probably help to keep them nice and white
(she hopes!)
Collars are a different matter, I havent collared mine but I put netting up way before the CWB, I may live and learn this year
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Erfurt

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 23:08 »

Ive had debris netting recommended by many growers
This is interesting as the only people who use it at my site are the daff guys and that is mainly for rain/hail protection.

Good point about Caulies.

I may try some this year if my cabbage get going. Always worth a try. Now whats that phrase.....oh yeah "suck it and see".

iwantanallotment

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:37 »
Last year I gave my brassicas no protection, other than slug pellets.

Each day I found I was having to do the rounds re butterfly eggs, checking under every single leaf  :blink:  It took forever! And still I missed a few. Oh, and stood up the garden with a badminton racquet, batting cabbage whites over to next door  :blush: I still hope to this day that no-one saw me.

This year they're under fleece tunnels with a scattering of slug pellets.

Thought that should be it - but then found one cabbage seedling infested with a (beetle?) larvae - that stuff which looks like spit?  :ohmy:

xx
Protecting Brassicas

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 22:20
by Totty
xx
3 questions on protecting brassicas and sourcing equipment

Started by kev p on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 14:02
by Kristen
xx
protecting brussels

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 12:33
by moose
xx
Protecting carrots from the fly!

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 20:26
by gobs

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 38 queries.