Protecting carrots from the fly!

• 27 Replies

Hampshire Hog

« on: January 30, 2008, 19:22 »
I am hoping to succeed with carrots this year!

Have had problems in past with the dreaded fly then tried covering a row but that didn't germinate :cry:

Is the method of surrounding with a 60cm high barrier effective??

Appreciate others experience of this

Cheers HH
Keep digging

brucesgirl

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 19:52 »
Don't know if it will be effective, but I am certainly going to try that this year.

Vegpot

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 20:00 »
Hi

I am trying carrots for the first time this year but in quite high raised beds - will I need to do anything extra if the seeds are about 20" above the floor?

gobs

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 20:04 »
I'm sorry, so experience seems to prove the books that you need clear of two feet. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 20:16 »
i start mine under a closh next to my onions never enny troubel with root fly

neal

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 22:24 »
Ive had the same prob tried a clear plastic barrier 30in high (in old money)and they still got in. Latest idea is infestation may over winter in the soil as eggs. Trying same idea this season but in an area that has not grown carrots or parsnips for the last few years. Keep fingers crossed for a clear crop. Unless someone has a fool proof idea.  :(

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 16:04 »
Thanks for replies looks like the barrier method plus a flame thrower! :twisted:

Cheers HH

gobs

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 16:12 »
Quote from: "neal"
Ive had the same prob tried a clear plastic barrier 30in high (in old money)and they still got in. Latest idea is infestation may over winter in the soil as eggs. Trying same idea this season but in an area that has not grown carrots or parsnips for the last few years. Keep fingers crossed for a clear crop. Unless someone has a fool proof idea.  :(

You should rotate crops, it always helps, as a prevention. This is not a new idea, my book first published in 1986, gives 3 years of min rotation for carrot fly eggs(pupae) to give significant decrease.

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 21:41 »
Unless someone has a fool proof idea.  :(
                 POLYTUNNEL.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 22:00 »
I agree with nobby about planting carrots next to onions. The carrots I had that were closest to the onions (next 2 rows) had no carrot root fly damage, but the carrots that were allegedly 'fly resistant' (fly away if I remember) but further away from the onions had significantly more root damage. Will try the same this year

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Rob the rake

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 22:09 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"
Unless someone has a fool proof idea.  :(
                 POLYTUNNEL.

Grow them in plastic barrels or dustbins, with a foot high mesh or fleece barrier ringing the top. Gives an effective barrier height of 3 feet or more and works perfectly.
It's an especially useful tactic if you struggle with carrots because of heavy soil. The exact composition of the growing mixture can vary but carrots seem to like it sandy, so I use 50/50 soil/sand. It's also an effective use of space, amazing how many carrots will fit in a bin!
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 22:18 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
Grow them in plastic barrels or dustbins, with a foot high mesh or fleece barrier ringing the top.

I'm really good at putting things in pots, barrels, baskets etc, etc  :D  :lol:

Unfortunately after a few weeks I invariably stop watering, dunno why, usually its a case of 'I'll do it tomorrow as its rained today' so everything dies :oops: The worst part is I KNOW they need watering even if its rained as they are relying on me, and I'll nag OH if he says he'll do it and then forgets :?

Is there any hope for me?

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 22:31 »

Grow them in plastic barrels or dustbins, with a foot high mesh or fleece barrier ringing the top. Gives an effective barrier height of 3 feet or more and works perfectly.
 If you are gonna grow 'em outside I'd agree 100% with the 3ft. +height. not a beleiver in all this  Carrot Fly can't get above 2ft. rubbish.

Rob the rake

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 09:18 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"

If you are gonna grow 'em outside I'd agree 100% with the 3ft. +height. not a beleiver in all this  Carrot Fly can't get above 2ft. rubbish.

You're right DD. All it takes is a stiff breeze to lift them over the top and the damage is done. By the time you notice it's way too late.

Rob the rake

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 09:27 »
If you are growing carrots in a tunnel, it's useful to fit a half-height screen to keep them out when the tunnel needs to be ventilated.
It's relatively simple to make and fit an inward-opening mesh door on the back of the existing frame, like the bottom half of a stable door.

xx
protecting pumpkins

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 10:37
by Snap Dragon
xx
Protecting brassicas

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 02:37
by iwantanallotment
xx
Protecting my seedlings.

Started by drummerboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2007, 22:34
by Ann
xx
Protecting my new shoots?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 10:14
by argaric

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 34 queries.