cider vineger

• 23 Replies

hillfooter

Re: cider vineger
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 11:04 »
The farm I got my pullets from recommended using cider vinegar in between worming treatments to help keep the worms at bay as it slightly alters the gut environment (makes it more alkaline?? - my chemistry is rusty!) which makes it less hospitable to worms.

ACV is I believe acidic and a chickens digestion system is very acidic to the point ACV would have little or no effect on acidity.  If a chx digestion system is acidic why is it assumed it needs to be made more alkaline?   Surely if it's evolved to be acidic that's what it needs to be why attempt to "correct" it by tinkering with it?  

The truth is the benefits of ACV, if any, are far from clear.  ACV became popular in the 1950's, post war, when an American alternative medicine author wrote a book on herbal and folksy dietry remedies and supplements which were supposed to be cure all for all manner of ailments.  It became a cult craze and ACV was one of the things which caught on.  People used to drink the stuff as a health tonic!.  I suppose anything that vile must do some good :lol:  It's now sold mostly for animals, horses and the like.
HF

It's interesting to read the supposed list of benefits ACV has, it is claimed to be a cure, or usually "helpful in the treatment of", as modern advertising law requires some credible proof of a claimed benefit and it's easier to get away with vague claims.  The list is long and includes some types of cancer, and heart problems to name a couple of the biggies.  If you are losing your hair it also will grow hair on a billiard ball or at least "help" as a hair restorer.

I'm reminded that some wag once produced a well supported petition calling for the  abolition of hydrogen dioxide dihydrogen monoxide a chemical which is all around us and can cause death by suffocation in some animals, and one of it's many "bad" associations was it is found in all cancer cells.  The list of bad sounding facts about it was long and impressive.  Of course for those more conversant with chemistry will know it's water.  An essential ingredient for life.

Chx and some animals appear to like a bit of ACV in their drinking water or at least they appear to initially drink more but wouldn't it also make you thirsty and want to drink more?  Long term I've found chx will drink fresh water just as well if not better than ACV treated.  Just put two drinkers out side by side with ACV in one and fresh water in another and monitor it longterm to see which they prefer.  Anything which encourages them to drink particularly in hot weather can be useful.

HF
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 13:34 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13 »
...and if you want another folksy remedy for worms try garlic another magic potion which "helps" wth the treatment of most ailments and is a primary ingredient of VermX the organic wormer.  VermX were prevented in 2009 by the Advertising Standards Agency for making sweeping claims for the universal efficacy of their wormer on the basis of no evidence.
HF

Casey76

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 12:27 »
I'm reminded that some wag once produced a well supported petition calling for the  abolition of hydrogen dioxide a chemical which is all around us and can cause death by suffocation in some animals, and one of it's many "bad" associations was it is found in all cancer cells.  The list of bad sounding facts about it was long and impressive.  Of course for those more conversant with chemistry will know it's water.  An essential ingredient for life.
HF

You're thinking of dihydrogen monoxide (H2O) not hydrogen dioxide (HO2) which is a hydroperoxyl radical and destroys the ozone in our atmosphere  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:54 by Casey76 »

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 13:35 »
I'm reminded that some wag once produced a well supported petition calling for the  abolition of hydrogen dioxide a chemical which is all around us and can cause death by suffocation in some animals, and one of it's many "bad" associations was it is found in all cancer cells.  The list of bad sounding facts about it was long and impressive.  Of course for those more conversant with chemistry will know it's water.  An essential ingredient for life.
HF

You're thinking of dihydrogen monoxide (H2O) not hydrogen dioxide (HO2) which is a hydroperoxyl radical and destroys the ozone in our atmosphere  :tongue2:

Right again Casey.  I'm useless at chemistry ::)
HF

jinty1911

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 18:54 »
Personally I think it's a bit like that white powder I sprinkle round my chicken run to deter elephants.  It's very effective so far I've not had one chicken stamped on by an elephant and they all have lovely glossy feathers too. :D
HF

Ha ha I knew you would say that  :lol:  :lol:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 00:33 »
Well Mr Hillfooter I take apple cider vinegar and manuka honey as a drink (even more delicious with a bit of ginger added).  I also take various vitamin and mineral supplements and have been known to eat raw garlic!  :blink:

I haven't yet been trampled by a herd of elephants or bitten by a vampire so it's working for me so far.

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 19:25 »
Well Mr Hillfooter I take apple cider vinegar and manuka honey as a drink (even more delicious with a bit of ginger added).  I also take various vitamin and mineral supplements and have been known to eat raw garlic!  :blink:

I haven't yet been trampled by a herd of elephants or bitten by a vampire so it's working for me so far.

Well Lindeggs I'm sure you will live to be 100 or at least it will seem that long.

Eating raw garlic!  I'm not surprised vampires give you a wideberth.  But I'm quite partial to a bit of ginger and garlic myself but mostly in a chicken vindaloo not in a chicken in my zoo.  Does this count? :unsure:
HF

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 20:40 »
... mostly in a chicken vindaloo not in a chicken in my zoo...

:lol: Once more you had me spitting my morning coffee!   >:(  ;)

I would be disappointed if I only lived to be 100.  My Grandma died at 103 and her mother at 99 (as the result of an unfortunate accident - no elephants involved).  My Mum is going strong at 80 and takes cider vinegar every day.  Perhaps gullibility runs in the family.  :tongue2:

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 22:20 »
ACV is supposed to help with rheumatism or is that arthritis, one of them anyway.  Personally I give my girls garlic flakes, acv, seaweed and cod liver oil, boy are they healthy and they romped through thier moult in record time as well.  So must be doing something right.

question
Cider vinegar Vs Apple cider vineger?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 18:44
by Goldfinger
xx
How much Cider Apple Vineger.

Started by BestBreast on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 21:48
by BestBreast
xx
apple cider vineger

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 20:34
by andy46
xx
Apple cider vineger - supermarkets own!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2009, 16:47
by Wyandottie

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.