My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

• 13 Replies

SCassin

• Experienced Member
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed
« on: September 11, 2013, 17:22 »
Been waiting for almost a week for confirmation I have the plot I applied for.  So sent a text chasing it and lady had replied saying yes all sorted and has given me the gate code - fab - did try and post a photo but says my file is too large??  Anyway as yet not much to see as basically the plots are a landshare by a local charity and the field which has been marked up into plot has been a cattle field for last 20 years so it is lovely grass!!  There are about 8 other plots already been used and the one next to me is well established even tho the charity only let the lots from January this year.  There is a total of 46 plots but they haven't had much interest so she said if I find mine not large enough just let her know and I can have another!!  Blimey.

Sparkyrog

Re: My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 17:45 »
Congrats  :D
I cook therefore I grow

miggs

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 17:47 »
Well done. :)
Now for the pics.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 18:45 »
Let the growing begin.  :D

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 22:12 »
I tried to post a pic it said it was too large - don't know how to make it smaller   :wub:

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 23:34 »
this is when the hard work begins dig in and enjoy the fruits of your labour will come next year, gud luck :D

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:45 »
Off to do my horses this morning but gardening tools in boot for just a little pop in landshare (lol) on way home - thinking of just marking it out today with string to show it taken  :D  and cut the first turf to see how stoney it is underneath as neighbour thinks it might be a stoney area of the plot as hers next door was.  She dug and use the stones to make path ways between beds and it does work well so might be a copycat on that.   :blush:

MalcW

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:36 »
Hi SCassin, and congratulations.

If you have your pictures on a Microsoft Windows computer, one easy way to change the size is to open the picture in Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Then go up to Picture at the top, and select Resize.
Over on the right you'll see a button called 'Predefined width x height'. Click that, and then from the list of options in the field immediately below it select the 'Web - Large' option, and click OK.
Save the resulting picture and try posting that.

It looks more complicated than it is - it takes seconds to do.

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:20 »
Well went there fore first time officially today and marked my plot out with string so can clearly see the size.  They have strimmed the paths and the unoccupied plots around the site and OMG it makes mine look frightening  :ohmy: I have dug first area about 4' x 2' before the spade snapped - not a good start but the soil looks lovely and no stones as yet so happy bunny. 

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:34 »
a couple of tips
- get a set of really good tools , would suggest a fork,spade,draw hoe and dutch hoe
- split ur plot into 4 distinct areas...u u can do a rotation system
- make an area for a compost bin etc... turn ur turf over there and leave it over winter it will breakdown and u can resue
- make paths between the 4 areas
- start planning what u would like to plant. lots of garden centres have 50p seeds on sale now
- choose what u like to eat most so u have fun
all the  best and most importantly have fun

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 13:58 »
Thanks J_B - that is almost what I was planning.  I was thinking of having a long thin bed at the end of the allotment for beans and peas then dividing the rest into 4.  The one of those into 2 so the kids can have a bed and the other part will be herbs.  The turf I took off the part I dug today I have started making a sort of square wall with and was hoping to build that up to to use as somewhere to throw compostable stuff.  I have loads of compost bins at the house so want to take one of those down but thought I could stand it inside my wall then when I lift it out I might have a raised bed - does that make sense?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 14:34 »
If you are planning a semi-permanent layout (as opposed to just for 2014), apart from permanent planting, I would keep all beds the same size (or divisible into the same size) to allow for rotation.  You won't want to put your beans and peas in the same place every year.

Interesting compost idea but to be honest I wouldn't necessarily go for it as a future raised bed - you won't have enough compost from one bin to fill a bed, and there's not much nutrition in compost alone.  Veggies do prefer to get their roots into some soil.  The one possible exception would be a squash or similar plant.  Bear in mind that grass and compost rot down so although you'd end up with a raised edge to start with, it will not remain the same all season.

Good tools are a vital investment.  I've hammered my fork in particular for years and although it's a little wobbly in places, it's great.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 14:44 »
I have a large plot at home to tho - I haven't used it for a few years due to my health but Im hoping to bring this into play again and commenced clearing it a few weeks ago.  I was thinking of using that to rotate stuff to so one year the peas would be in long bed the next they would be at home, sweetcorn would swop about and runners also, I was planning on have 3 long beds at home to use them as screening see so the one at the landshare would be the 4th - Im probably not making myself clear and only telling half the story didn't help.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 15:04 »
Ah right - yes, my front garden is another 'bed' ...

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
YAY got my plot!

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 11:44
by kezlou
xx
No plot for me..

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 20:35
by RJR_38
xx
Me and My Plot

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 17:21
by gobs

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.