Pigeon Warning

• 6 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Pigeon Warning
« on: March 28, 2020, 18:52 »
Hi,

So, after 8 months of careful nurturing I ventured down to the allotment this morning to get my first harvest of purple sprouting.

What I do find, feathers and bird muck over the black netting and the 6 plants that I had all decimated.  Good job there was no one at the allotment to hear my Anglo-Saxon outburst.... 

Another veg cage ordered as its becoming increasingly pointless to grow anything not protected in a full cage.

Tempted to grow a sacrificial plant this year and soak it in the hottest chilli sauce money can buy as a present to those lovey pigeons.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 18:59 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pigeon Warning
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 19:04 »
Bad luck!
I went up on Monday to find my perennial cauliflowers were bent over with the weight of the wood pigeons that were eating them  :mad:
I removed the broken shoots and the plants are now covered with debris netting over hoops - hopefully I'll still get something off them. Really I should have done it before the birds found them  ::)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 19:19 »
Hot sauce wont do anything to the pigeons I'm afraid. Birds don't feel the burning sensation from the capsaicin in peppers the way humans do, they happily eat even the hottest chillies.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 19:33 »
Hot sauce wont do anything to the pigeons I'm afraid. Birds don't feel the burning sensation from the capsaicin in peppers the way humans do, they happily eat even the hottest chillies.
one thing the hate is an ounce of #6!

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:53 »
Hi All

Do you reckon this is pigeon damage?  I didn't see the culprit, happened between 10pm last night and 9am this morning, just one brassica seeding  >:(
Pigeon Damage.jpg
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

al78

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 11:45 »
Hi All

Do you reckon this is pigeon damage?  I didn't see the culprit, happened between 10pm last night and 9am this morning, just one brassica seeding  >:(

That looks like the lower stem has rotted (damping off?). If a bird had uprooted it I would expect the upper half of it to be damaged, but the leaves and upper stem look intact.

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 11:52 »
Hi All

That looks like the lower stem has rotted (damping off?). If a bird had uprooted it I would expect the upper half of it to be damaged, but the leaves and upper stem look intact.

Oh, damn! I only planted it out 2 days ago.

xx
Pigeon poo!

Started by foxi loxi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 08:25
by Christine
xx
Very dry pigeon poo

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 08:48
by mashbintater
xx
pigeon

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 15:23
by Trillium
xx
pigeon p**

Started by Charlie on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 13, 2007, 22:49
by noshed

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 47 queries.