Leek issues

• 5 Replies

Jiskoot

Leek issues
« on: March 27, 2020, 20:11 »
Relatively new to growing veg, first year last year.  I was hoping for some advice about my leeks, I had the same issue last year as I'm having so far in 2020.

I sowed some in February (Sprintan) and a further lot (Norther Lights) a couple of weeks ago and I've had a decent germination rate, they're currently in modules in a light outbuilding but just aren't getting any bigger, they're still all just thin seedlings.  I'm wondering if they need to be in something deeper, would this make a difference?  Or does it just take a very long time?  As I said, the same happened last year and I ended up just planting them outside and they actually did pretty well but on researching I see that they need to be planted out when pencil thickness but mine have never got past needle thickness.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

My veg plot is a work in progress still so I don't have a seed bed to put them in so was hoping to start them in pots to begin with.

Would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Leek issues
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 20:25 »
Sowing in deeper containers does work better than modules IMO but even so they do grow slowly and after 4 - 6 weeks the compost will be depleted of nutrients, so they will need regular liquid feeds until they can be dibbed out.

I sow mine in either a deep cat litter tray (the cat has a newer one so doesn't object  ;)) or polystyrene 'fish boxes'   :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 20:45 »
DD, who normally grows all the peas in Leicestershire, uses a technique of transplanting the leek seedlings to a deeper box, like Mum says, then waiting until the desired size (pencil thickness), then dibbing in to the final beds.

While I've never reached the size he mentions, I know that biro refill size always work as well, so fear ye not!

Our seedlings are about two inches tall, and still straggly, so a quick feed is on the cards for tomorrow (thanks Mum for the reminder)!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 23:30 »
Yep don't worry about the girth measuring up to others  ::)

I sow mine in some deepish trays that we bought mushooms in a while back. Once they've straightened out I prick them out and then plant them into some deeper troughs until around May, then they get transplanted out to their final place. I'm lazy and I don't like liquid feeding my plants so I tend to chuck a few chicken manure pellets into the compost in the deep troughs to make sure there are enough nutrients for the young leeks.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 09:50 »

There are a few plants that when grown from seeds take an eternity to reach any sort of size. The very fact they do causes the grower some negative feelings of expectation. I think that as gardeners we have to be able to see the bigger picture and accept that some things take time. One thing I would say is, and it is a method I have used very successfully to grow onions, is to sow your leeks into a large pot thinly , maybe  40-50 seeds in a 25cm pot then let them grow on. Leeks like onions will withstand a bomb blast so when ready to plant out just turn out the pot separate the leeks and trim the roots and tops.
Having said that I do not grow my leeks from seeds I buy plants... I thus avoid your angst  :lol: I do appreciate that others may not be able to or don't want to though.

Jiskoot

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 18:08 »
Thanks very much everyone, have transplanted them into some deep trays and given them a feed, they can stay there now until planting time.  Didn't even think about feed, must admit I've never fed anything before so think I definitely need to do some more research :)

xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
cauliflower issues

Started by 44hexx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 20:44
by 44hexx
xx
Size issues

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 19, 2015, 13:37
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Brassica Issues

Started by devonbarmygardener on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 14:03
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 46 queries.