Cats and leather

• 13 Replies

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Cats and leather
« on: September 07, 2009, 21:24 »
Hi, no its not a rude question :ohmy:. In our stupity, we have purchased a leather settee, i've always said i wouldn't have one because of the cats but it was a bargain ::)
  One of the cats , we've got 3, i'm sure will think its there just for her claws. She is petrified of any spray bottles because of the Frontline spray, but i dont want to threaten her with that , any one got any ideas please :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Rubellite

Re: Cats and leather
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 21:40 »
Buy some polish  :(
My two Russian Blue x es have wrecked my leather sofas. Good job I'm not houseproud :nowink:

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 22:06 »
Thanks, looks like cure rather than prevention then :( ::)

Rubellite

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 22:41 »
They are ok now they're older but to start with.............er.......I just don't want to talk about it. The girlie couldn't walk anywhere without clinging on with her claws.

tode

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 23:44 »
Have found just the opposite to be true: cats do far less damage on leather than on material.  They prefer scratching on something that "catches".
Where the leather suffers a bit is when they play about and slip. So never throw their mice onto the settee  ::) , or play with them on it.

Pretty sure that your leather will last ten times longer than material, though.

Do you have a scratching post in the room? Helps a lot.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 07:08 »
Thanks, i wonder if its one of those things, they love it or they hate it, my nan had one that got ruined within months, but she allowed it to happen ::)
   Its pushed to one side for now until the weekend, the one i was worried about jumped up and went to sleep on it no problems at all, she has to always pull at the material one, so perhaps i'm going to be lucky :) I've bought scratch posts but they always stop using them when they get a bit bigger.

power_of_p3

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 22:12 »
Hi - We found the best method was to put a scratching post right next to the couch, and when they go to scratch the couch give them a tap on the ear, put their paws to the post and give them a love.  She never touchs the couch anymore, and that was from being a kitten, she's one of our other cats babies, so don't know about older cats but once one has learnt they all tend to follow suite...lol

BB ~~jo~~

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 23:51 »
Hi and welcome P3  :D

Please introduce yourself in the welcome forum if you want to, then we can all say hi  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 23:45 »
Hello

I had a cat once, from the moment I let it in the lounge it decided my sofa would be a good scratching post. 

As my sofa was brand new I wouldn't tollorate my cat scratching it so, as soon as it put its claws up to have a go I threw a soft cushion at it.   It tried it twice since and again each time I threw a cushion.  The cat only needed to see me raise a cushion when it thought about scratching and then stopped and walked off.  after about a week it stopped even thinking about it.

The cushion was soft enough not to hurt the cat but firm and big enough to knock the cat off its feet sending it rolling across the floor - no different than a mother cat belting her kitten with her paw and sending it rolling when its done wrong.

OVP

power_of_p3

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 21:44 »
yeah ourveggiepatch, we did that too with a rolled up tea towel, they only have to think about doing something naughty and if they see us bunch up a towel off they go.  Someimes it's just about giving the impression you're going to do something and thats enought to put them off lol.

how your couch faring kitkat?

BB ~~jo~~

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 08:10 »
Hi everyone and thanks. The settee and armchair are still up the corner as its for our new house. One of the cats plucked it, we told her off and touch wood she hasn't done it since, so far so good with the other 2. I will use the cushion or tea towel method as they just wont bother with scratch posts. One cat got locked in with it by mistake for a whole night and she never touched it. Keeping my fingers firmly crossed though :)

As you can see its a big hit ::)

Rubellite

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 14:42 »
Funny things, cats, aren't they?  ::)

power_of_p3

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 22:53 »
you have two cute kittys there kitkat...are they pedigree...they have beautiful coats, so furry lol :tongue2:

BB ~~jo~~

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 07:48 »
No they aren't pedigree, but Darcy on the right, her daddy comes from the chateau across the road and he is a French breed called Chartreaux[sp]. :tongue2:

xx
cats one rule for dogs one for cats

Started by traacyken on Pets without Feathers

60 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 22:25
by mumofstig
xx
Cats

Started by dookie on Pets without Feathers

84 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 00:07
by Paul Plots
xx
Who would have cats ?

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:20
by composthappens
xx
As much as I love my cats...

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 16:46
by Livinhope

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.