Garden building work - where to begin?!

• 6 Replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
Garden building work - where to begin?!
« on: January 19, 2011, 14:14 »
I'd be really grateful for any help with this, as Ihave no idea where to begin.

We want to make some changes to the garden this year, and we want to pay someone to come in and do some things, not necessarily the same person for each job, but it could be.

We want a chicken area built which will involve wooden frame fencing with mesh fencing (presumably dug into the ground by a foot)  and then we're going to fill the area with gravel.  I would imagine about 5 metres square ish (although probably not square) with a nice gate.

We want a six foot gate put in at the back of the garden.

We want a shed and base put in the back corner.

We want an eight brick high wall built to enclose the patio area (about six foot long probably) and the patio filled in to extend it (about 6ftx2ft) with concrete or slabs, not fussy.

Do I need a builder, or a carpenter?  Surely a landscape gardener is not right.

I have no idea who to ask, or how much any of it will cost.  I've not been in a position to afford it before and so have no idea where to begin. 

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Garden building work - where to begin?!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 14:16 »
Hi VP, I've moved this to design and construction to give it the best chance to be seen by the experts. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 14:42 »
possibly a builder/general handyman/woman is what you need  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 14:52 »
First of all you need a pen and a wodge of paper to sort out what you want where.  Nothing is more frustrating to a general good bloke than not knowing what to work from, or strting and then being told it is all changed! 

You work out just what you want and then get someone trustworthy in to say what you can have then banter to and fro untill you have something concrete (in more ways than one)...   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 15:20 »
a lot of people who supply sheds can do bases or can supply someone to put down a base. It is then not much of a stretch for them to suggest someone to do the chicken run and bricks aroudn patio. Alternatively many people who sell chicken runs will come and erect them and then perhaps do the shed etc. I have a tame landscaper and I woudl not hesitate to let him do all this for me if it was me -- trouble is we are in North Lincolnshire and he is so well thought of he is booked months ahead.
Most small joinery firms know a builder and most builders know a fencer etc or ask at any garden centre that sells sheds etc.
Do you know any recently retired (or out of work but trusted) construction guys or DIY people who coudl help out ???
R

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44 »
Ask friends & neighbors for someone they can recommend & have a look at some work that they have carried out.Get at least 3 quotes & make sure it is exactly want you want before they start with 1 of the projects to begin with or you might regret it.There's a lot of bodgers out there.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Totty

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 20:01 »
A good local landscaper should do everything exept build the wall possibly.
 A good local general builder should also be able to do all of that as well. You will probably find that if you find one person who can do it all it will work out cheaper, quicker and easier to plan altogether than if you have a couple of different people working around the work of others.
 Find somebody who you can rely on in the future for any other jobs you may need doing inside or out, you will trust them more and will be rewarded with good work at a fair price.
General builder would get my vote.

question
Building a raised veg bed

Started by compoQ on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 12:51
by compoQ
xx
building a raised bed

Started by rowlandwells on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 05:52
by Sideshoot
xx
building greenhouses

Started by karlooben on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 21:04
by karlooben
xx
building a greenhouse

Started by Joe Shmoe on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 21:33
by Mosslane

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.