russian vine

• 47 Replies

slinky

russian vine
« on: August 23, 2007, 11:33 »
hi im new and need some advice.i am totally clueless about gardening and flowers etc,but im trying to make my garden look good.its my first garden!!! i decided that the front of our house looks very bland and boring so decided to buy something to brighten it up.i bought russian vine.now i have looked it up online it seems like it is a nightmare plant that grows like mad and you cant get rid of it.is this true.and if i do go ahead and plant it,does it need trellis or something or can it kind of cling to the wall by itself???

Sally A

russian vine
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:43 »
Hi slinky, welcome to the site.

the tree and shrub expert suggests it needs support as it's a twiner, growing a 15ft per annum up to 40ft in total.

No mention of it becoming a problem, just keep it in check by spring prunings.

But it is deciduous so will be a bit bland and bare in winter.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
russian vine
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 17:09 »
We have one growing up a tree, it flowers twice a year most years but it is very vigorous in it's growth and will need keeping under control. Especially when it gets up to your roof as it may run under the tiles/slates etc and lift them.

Like Sally says, it deciduous so a bit bare in the winter and it needs support.

BTW Welcome to the forum Slinky  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
russian vine
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 17:16 »
Also, I'd beware things actually growing up the walls of the house, as stuff like Ivy and probably russian vine too, can eat into your mortar and let damp in after a while.

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 18:06 »
maybe i should just put it along the garden fence instead.then i could keep it under control easily.dont want it destroying our house!!!its only little so how do i train it or whatever.what do i put up for it to grow on and do you kinda weave it round things as it gets bigger???told you im clueless!!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
russian vine
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 19:27 »
You could attach some sturdy trellis to the fence, or get a treated length of timber ram that into the ground and nail to the fence 1" x1" would do, or you could use garden wire.

Plant it about 6" away from the fence so it gets more moisture if you can,Add some compost or manure if you have any.

Then train it up, tie it in with something soft old stockings cut up are ideal.

Water well and retire to a safe distance  :lol: depending on your fence you could run some stout garden wire along the top for it to run along.

Don't worry about tying it in as it starts to grow it will sort itself out, just guide it in the right direction.  

Hope this helps

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 19:39 »
thanx for the advice.good job you lot know what youre talkin about!!!

mkhenry

russian vine
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 19:49 »
Russian vine can be the most intrusive, distructive,disruptive plant you can ever grow.It will climb over or under every thing in its path. It can and will bring down walls sheds block drains lift foundations cause subsidance.and take over your garden.It should be avoided except in those areas that these qualities are required IE a war zone.Other wise it does have nice flowers. :?
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
russian vine
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 20:02 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Russian vine can be the most intrusive, distructive,disruptive plant you can ever grow.It will climb over or under every thing in its path. It can and will bring down walls sheds block drains lift foundations cause subsidance.and take over your garden.It shoud be avoided except in those areas that these qualities are required IE a war zone.Other wise it does have nice flowers. :?
#

:shock:  I love mine I can see it from the patio door as I speak. All depends were you grow it, 'n yes it does have nice flowers.

mkhenry

russian vine
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 20:07 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Russian vine can be the most intrusive, distructive,disruptive plant you can ever grow.It will climb over or under every thing in its path. It can and will bring down walls sheds block drains lift foundations cause subsidance.and take over your garden.It shoud be avoided except in those areas that these qualities are required IE a war zone.Other wise it does have nice flowers. :?
#

:shock:  I love mine I can see it from the patio door as I speak. All depends were you grow it, 'n yes it does have nice flowers.

But you R R are a very good and experienced gardener who is very aware of the distructive nature of this plant and knows how and when to control and kerb it.Would you really wish it apon a novice gardener who may live to regret it. :cry:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
russian vine
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 20:29 »
Well as long as it's planted where some one wants it and is aware of it's potential then why not ?, lets be honest if you can always dig em out if you get fed up with it. I've never heard of one causing subsidence tho' :shock: yes I suppose they could block drains with it's leaves but so could any large deciduous plant.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this on mkhenry. :D

Slinky I forgot to say aim it away from the house if you can :wink: , don't be afraid to chop it back when necessary.

mkhenry

russian vine
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 20:48 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Well as long as it's planted where some one wants it and is aware of it's potential then why not ?, lets be honest if you can always dig em out if you get fed up with it. I've never heard of one causing subsidence tho' :shock: yes I suppose they could block drains with it's leaves but so could any large deciduous plant.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this on mkhenry. :D

Slinky I forgot to say aim it away from the house if you can :wink: , don't be afraid to chop it back when necessary.

RR no need to take my word for it.When you have a mo read Shauns posting.
Sunday 20th may 8.29
Then read Digger joe
Wed 29th may

Then let me know what you think. :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
russian vine
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 21:01 »
Slinky, when we lived in Essex, our house had an odd space where hte bathroom extension poked out from the side of the house, but back a bit to the rest of it, and it was very bland and boring,  The previous owner had made a big square wooden box, which had had plants in it.

To brighten it up a bit, hubby made me a long trellis, which I stuck in the back of the box, which was about 6 inches away from the house wall.  It was quite a high trellis, but was quite safe, because the box was deep.  I grew an evergreen honeysuckle and a clematis up it for a bit of colour.  

I don't know what your house looks like, but perhaps something like that???  

I know what you mean about bland frontages, this house is like that too, but I can't do much to it at the moment as I'm waiting for hubby to do the block paving around the house.  He started round the back 3 years ago,but it hasn't reached the front yet!!!! lol     Maybe one day.........

mkhenry

russian vine
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 21:28 »
Just to show that it not just me I quote from The Practical Gardening Encyclopedia page 130.The mile a minute plant (russian Vine ) is so fast growing and all-smothering that great care should be taken in positioning it:it is capable of overwhelming a garage WITHIN A SINGLE SEASON,and unless cut back will find its way in through small crevices in a building and can cause considerable damage....Remember it is part of the Japanese Knot family. Several other very well known gardeners warn about this plant,but I do not want to get too boring,but I must add Be very careful before you start to grow this monster. 8)

slinky

russian vine
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 22:29 »
im now going to plant it in the middle of the garden against the fence.then i have easy access to chainsaw it to bits if it starts destroying.any suggestions as to what i can put at the front of the house??want something that flowers,self climbing thingy(no trellis etc needed)and it has to be nice to my house(non destroying)

xx
Russian Vine

Started by LittleRedHen on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 18:13
by 8doubles
xx
russian vine

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 20:38
by chrissie B
clip
Ailing Russian Vine

Started by cheshirecheese on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2018, 13:13
by cheshirecheese
xx
Russian Vine - help needed.

Started by Bagpuss on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 20:14
by mkhenry

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 39 queries.