Secateur question...

• 5 Replies

Growster...

Secateur question...
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:01 »
We seem to have more than somewhat pruning work this year, and we're wondering what the benefits of either a rechargeable pair, or some rechargeable shears could be?

Most of the shrubs we're cutting have thin stems, in fact I did the cotinus with a hedge trimmer yesterday, and although the cuts weren't totally clean, the job was done in minutes rather than a lot longer!

As an aside, the really ancient secateurs which were inherited from grandparents, and looked almost home-forged are still much sharper than the modern pairs we have - both by-pass and anvil types, and we still rather like the feel of using them...

Regarding the hand-held shears, are they any good?

Lardman

Re: Secateur question...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:31 »
I've resorted to the hedge trimmers too, especially for twiggy stuff like lavender, ribes and pyracantha. I have an old electric set I have sharpened but it's still a crush rather than a clean cut, but it's a fair trade off and means I don't spend 2 days with my thumb pulled across my palm.

I worry the small battery powered things wouldn't have the oomph needed to do the job, have you looked into the professional secateurs ? The felco no2's I bought are far less strain to use than even the good ones I had.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 13:27 »
Felcos are fab  8)

I have the no 6 model and they are now 12 years old, suviving most of these when I was working with plants and using them day in, day out, plus for stuff at home.  They have been rebuilt twice with new blades and springs and are still going strong.

Put a pair on your Christmas list Growster and don't forget the leather holster and sharpening stone  ;)

jezza

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 19:06 »
hi have you considered hireing a petrol engined hedgecutter  the job will be done in minutes and no machinery maintainance ezza

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 21:46 »
These are all interesting answers - thank you...

It's the small shears that I think I might be interested in, i.e. those with just four forward-pointing tines, for trimming etc.

Bosch and Black and Decker make some, but I don't know if they'll cope with some of the thicker stuff - say - up to half an inch!

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 14:03 »
I have a set of the Bosch rechargeable that I use at home.
The doggies danglers for fine stuff with a good battery life but they are not man enough for half inch.
I tend to use a pair of ratchet Secateurs for thick stuff. Far less strain on the hands and fingers
May the fork be with you

xx
Secateur sharpener.

Started by Royston1 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2024, 19:16
by jezza
xx
Can anyone help with this question please..

Started by Aidy on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2016, 10:08
by oakridge
xx
Me again with a question please

Started by Lynne on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2007, 16:03
by muntjac
xx
Another question: which hoe?

Started by sheridan on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 18:18
by arugula

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 36 queries.