tool sharpener?

• 8 Replies

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
tool sharpener?
« on: October 14, 2013, 22:07 »
I want to buy something to sharpen my hoe and my shears and my secateurs - I don't know what to buy - what do other use?  Is it better to get a file?  I read that was a good idea?  Would rather spend less than more  :)
thanks  :)
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

Totty

Re: tool sharpener?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 22:32 »
I have a little dremmel multi tool. It gives an amazing edge to all my knives, secateurs, hoes etc, and is really fast and easy to use. Mine came with a 40 piece accessory kit which gives it loads of handy uses around the home. I see there are some on eBay that are exactly the same as mine but a different name on the side. Only 19.99. Look up Ferm Rotary combitool.

Totty

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 22:59 »
Wetstone, or is that whetstone? Is my choice. Cheap oil to keep it happy.

Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

jezza

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 23:23 »
A whetstone is a good investment especially if you can get one with coarse one side fine the other, mines over50 years old and still plenty of stone left Draper supply them for about £10.00 theres are fine and medium grades  jezza

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 23:53 »
Thanks to you both, perhaps I will ask for the sharpening tool for Christmas,  - and paddy if i bought a whetstone how do I use it?  sorry to be so dense - or will there be instructions?  do I sharpen both sides and when do you apply the oil.  and is vegtable oil ok, or what oil do you get?  And why do you apply it.   Also I have a couple of really old hoes quite rusty really, do you think they could be sharpened with a whetstone or would I need to get a new one and look after it from the beginning?  Perhaps that should be the Christmas pressie  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 00:37 »
I bought a Swiss Army sharpener from Lakeland a couple of years ago, and I have seen them in Wilko's during the gardening season, but I think they put everything away in December :( It is just a sharpener on a handle and very easy to carry to the plot in your pocket.

I looked online and I can't find one the same as mine but THIS is very similar.
Anne

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:51 »
For your hoe, get a cheap file. It is more than enough to keep the blade sharp. for your secateurs, a needle diamond file. Depending on what kind of shears you mean depends on what kind of sharpening tool. Hedge shears use a file, curved shears or hand shears use a small file. Whetstones are great for long grass hooks and the like, but unless you need a razor edge on say a knife or pruning blade, you don't need one for most sharpening Jobs. A Bastar* file, a medium file, and a fine file will do for all your gardening jobs.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:52 by tadpole »
small scale gardener, large scale eater

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 16:23 »
Thanks to you both, perhaps I will ask for the sharpening tool for Winterval,  - and paddy if i bought a whetstone how do I use it?  sorry to be so dense - or will there be instructions?  do I sharpen both sides and when do you apply the oil.  and is vegtable oil ok, or what oil do you get?  And why do you apply it.   Also I have a couple of really old hoes quite rusty really, do you think they could be sharpened with a whetstone or would I need to get a new one and look after it from the beginning?  Perhaps that should be the Winterval pressie  :)

The stone is abrasive so you can either rub the tool on the stone or rub the stone on tool, depending what works best. So for my Hoe I rub the stone, but for a pen knife its easier to rub the knife on the stone. Basically you are trying to create a gradation from the thick metal to a sharp edge. Its easier when you get started. As regards which side(s), look at the tool you are sharpening. A hoe would typically only be sharpened from one side with a flat bottom. Knifes usually both sides etc.

The oil acts asa lubricant, but I think it also collects the bits into a kind of paste which helps grind. It will also keep the sharpened edge from rusting.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpening_stone

Paddy

grendel

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 08:21 »
for penknives I use a small diamond stone, for most other things I have a whetstone, or I use my 4 1/2" grinder to reshape an edge onto a blade prior to using a stone. you can get diamond stones in a round rod type configuration which can be useful.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Cylinder Sharpener

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 11:58
by adal
xx
Secateur sharpener.

Started by Royston1 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2024, 19:16
by jezza
question
Name that tool.......

Started by Hesse2509 on Equipment Shed

25 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 06:23
by Hesse2509
xx
best tool to cut down brambles please

Started by eco-friendly on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 07:47
by mushroom

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.