planting new bulbs

• 2 Replies

babycakes

planting new bulbs
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:27 »
hi all was wonderin if any1 could help  :) im about to plant some new bulbs (all sorts of flowers) this week in a small border that i have at the side of my garage wall, only this border gets covered in weeds every year even tho im pullin the weed bulbs up!!! ggrrr :mad: if i plant my flower bulbs in this border and there is plenty of them will the weeds still come up???? Altho the weeds do flower lovely colours every year they are not doing wonders for my climbing clematis. Cheers folks. K x

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Re: planting new bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 12:00 »
Are they annual weeds, perennials or both? You say a small border, which shouldn't be too hard to control. First of all, dig it over a spade/forks depth and remove all weeds and roots you find, go through each spadeful and get as many as you can. That will remove most of the perennial weeds. The hoe is now your best friend. After preparing the soil and planting your bulbs, when things start growing you need to start hoeing. Just make absolutely sure you know which are your flowers and which are weeds. If you are not sure what the growing flowers look like, put a marker above each one planted and don't hoe within a couple of inches of it until you are sure which are flowers and which are weeds. Keep hoeing the weeds every few days. You could also put down a mulch/bark chips round the flowers, this will help suppress the weeds. You will never stop annual weeds coming through but will get them down to a manageable quantity. As for any perennial weeds that are still there, eventually the hoeing will kill them off.

Hope this helps.

Robbo.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:04 by robbodaveuk »
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

DavidT

Re: planting new bulbs
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 20:00 »
K, you say weedbulbs, what do these weeds look like?

xx
Planting bulbs (very) early

Started by Torgan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2012, 15:55
by Trillium
xx
Planting Tulip bulbs

Started by robbodaveuk on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 09:47
by DD.
xx
bulbs

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 10, 2020, 11:45
by Yorkie
xx
Bulbs

Started by Yorkie on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 22:31
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 37 queries.