Planting out

• 2 Replies

Stree

Planting out
« on: May 25, 2013, 20:27 »
Well at last felt OK today to plant some of this years grown from seed stock.
Apart from Lobelia Cardinalis, which was pulled off as plantlets from the parent about 6 weeks ago and potted on into the greenhouse to give them a start. They have all gone back in near the parents to give a nice clump of them.
Last of the sweetpeas went in, been outside in tall pots for weeks, but dithering about final positioning. Anyway, canes in, and planted up.
Cosmos brilliance next , nice sweep of the, multicoloured and compact, in the mid border.
Then a few asparagus peas for a bit of ground cover and the bonny flowers alongside and in front of them, leading to the next cosmos, full size Psyche white.
The mesembryenthemums are starting to flower in the greenhouse so they are going out in the window boxes in the morning, some of them anyway, I do seem to have a lot. Accompanying these will be portulaca, the moss rose not the larger woody type. These 4 window boxes have been difficult to manage, on a south facing wall and dry out really quickly, but mos rose and ice plants are drought tolerant and thrive on poor soil whilst needing full sun,  so heres hoping.
Nepeta and nemesia still deciding locations but have chosen spots for the nicotianas so they might be in tomorrow as well. These are from my own seeds and look really healthy, the full blown tall whites with the heady evening fragrance. Must have a 100 of them.
Petunias/surfinias might get put in baskets but greenhouse still for a week or two I think.
These were cheating, I buy plugs mid late may online and get bargains. I mean 3.99 for 24 plugs? Great. and that's including shipping.
Trying to clear the greenhouse to just leave toms peppers and courgettes, oh and dwarf french beans.......not quite ready for outside yet, they do seem to like it warm.
Lots of the toms will have to go outside, not room in the greenhouse for all of them and not even enough big pots apart from those for in the greenhouse. Trying some in big containers though, and some cherries in baskets. Never tried toms straight into the soil before.
Still waiting for first flowers so I can get some in the growbags.
All in all a good day.. A garden day.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Planting out
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 20:57 »
it's good when you can actually get on and do something, isn't it! and you got a lot done  :D

Stree

Re: Planting out
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 21:46 »
I was digging nettles out all  morning so treated myself to proper gardening in the afternoon!

xx
hi new to planting

Started by annie10 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 22:49
by sunshineband
xx
Planting ideas please !

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2016, 16:04
by sunshineband
xx
Planting ideas please

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post October 13, 2020, 19:50
by sunnywillow
xx
Planting things now?

Started by Mum2mj on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post November 17, 2014, 11:15
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.