marigold problem

• 14 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

marigold problem
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:08 »
I've grown some marigolds from last years seed, mainly to put in the GH with the tommys to keep whitefly at bay. Here's the problem. Usually, marigolds come up like lightning, these took ages, and the germination rate was quite poor. Sown in seed trays in the unheated GH, about  a week ago I pricked them out into individual modules and they came on lovely. Now though, at about 1 1/2" tall, one by one, they are looking very poorly indeed. Leaves shrivelling up and starting to keel over. In the past, they have needed very little attention at all, quite tollerant of any sort of conditions. So what could it be? The only thing I can think is it's because I''ve potted them up into last years old tommy compost, but I've done the same with my chrysanth cuttings and other stuff, and they are all fine.

Springlands

Re: marigold problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:19 »
Are you growing tagetes or calendula. If tagetes maybe it has just not been warm enough in the greenhouse for them and that is why they have suffered. The other possibility is damping off but hard to say without seeing pictures of the plants. Calendula will normally take colder conditions - my self seeded plants are growing well outside.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:35 »
It could be damping off. The humidity has been quite high in there due to the recent weather. I'll get some better ventilation going and stop watering them for a couple of days, as they are supposed to withstand a bit of drought. No Idea exactly what they are. They are from stock that someone gave me last year. They wern't very big plants at their peak last year. You don't think it may be the old compost I planted in?

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:56 »
If you are using old compost there might not be enough nutrients for the growing plants - but if as you say your GH is quite humid it could be a problem with damping off. Again hard to say without seeing what is going on.  :)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:16 »
Here's a piccy I just took. Note that the inner leaves and new shoots at the base of the plant look quite healthy.
IMGP1511.JPG

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 15:20 »
That does look like damping off.
See if a good dry out will help it recover but be ready to re-sow!

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 16:19 »
I would agree with DBG - looks like damping off - try removing the damaged leaves - they might survive but it is doubtful. Try to ensure that they are kept moist but not soaked and that they have some air. The plants look like they are tagetes rather than calendula. Hope all goes well.   :)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 18:50 »
Many thanks peeps.
I've been and removed them from their pots, which BTW, were well damp, replenished with some nice, just damp compost, and repotted them. We shall now see what we shall see.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 19:15 »
One by one, they are gradually still keeling over. Even some which were raised in new compost as opposed to the old tommy stuff, so that rules out the compost theory. I've been watering with water from a butt............could it be contaminated water? I'm doing other plants with the same water and they are fine. I reckon I'll give all the watering cans, sprayers and bottles a good fettle. Is it 0k to use household bleach for this if you rinse well?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 19:26 »
It's probably a combination of things - too cold, not enough light, poor compost - saved rainwater may contain fungal spores which might have just tipped the balance if everything else was against them, especially if you used too much of it for the speed they were growing at.

Most plants are much more likely to succumb to diseases they might otherwise shrug off if they're not happy, and so far this year many plants are far from delirious!  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 19:38 »
It's probably a combination of things - too cold, not enough light, poor compost - saved rainwater may contain fungal spores which might have just tipped the balance if everything else was against them, especially if you used too much of it for the speed they were growing at.

Most plants are much more likely to succumb to diseases they might otherwise shrug off if they're not happy, and so far this year many plants are far from delirious!  :nowink:

And the gardeners ain't very happy either. :nowink:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 22:10 »
I would sow a load more.
They take no time to get to that sort of size :)

I'm sowed another lot only a week ago and they already have their first true leaves.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 09:07 »

Does tha think it'd cheer 'em up if a took 'em art for a pint? ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 10:01 »
Does tha think it'd cheer 'em up if a took 'em art for a pint? ;)

Too risky - they might take a fancy to the barmaid and refuse to come home!  :lol:

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:21 »

Too risky - they might take a fancy to the barmaid and refuse to come home!  :lol:

What!!!! In Barnsley?????? Geeor, man. Thar evvin a laugh int tha?

xx
marigold varieties

Started by Carollan on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 23:31
by sarajane
xx
MARIGOLD CRACKERJACKS

Started by duncan on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 15:54
by duncan
xx
growing marigold's

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 19:15
by Trillium
xx
leggy french marigold?

Started by neil1967 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 19:45
by neil1967

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 40 queries.