Keeping Turkeys

• 2 Replies

Andy999

Keeping Turkeys
« on: June 06, 2008, 20:30 »
I would very much like some advice with regards to keeping turkeys.I would like to rear 1 or 2 birds for this Christmas and am considering utilising a poly tunnel as housing.I have a good size chicken run and can use some of the run for turkeys,my main concern is over using the poly tunnel.Look forward to your advice.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Keeping Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 22:21 »
My advice is DON'T!   lol, first of all, the temperature fluctuations in the tunnel are as bad as being outside! We found this when we put some chicks in the greenhouse as an emergency measure.

2.  We let our chickens use the polytunnel over the winter during the day when it rained so they could dustbath instead of mud bath, but they used to peck holes in the plastic,

and 3. hubby said turkeys get stressed very easily, so if you have any lights, movement or noises, they will notice it more than if they were in a wooden house.

and keep them away from your chickens as they can get blackhead from the chooks which will kill them, although people do sometimes keep them together, but we never have.

Otherwise, good luck with it!!!!

mercury

Keeping Turkeys
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 18:20 »
I can only echo what grannieannie has said, DON'T, apart from the things grannie mentioned, you'll get a lot of condensation, and thats bad, keep them in a shed with plenty of ventilation high up near the roof, i used to get my turkeys late august early september at four weeks old :)

xx
Keeping Turkeys? New book available

Started by John on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 00:40
by John
angry
Turkeys

Started by coppermaran on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 22:05
by GrannieAnnie
xx
turkeys

Started by millymolymandy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 20:34
by millymolymandy
xx
Turkeys....

Started by Wormarack on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2018, 10:00
by Sassy

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 28 queries.