Newbie to greenhouses

• 5 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Newbie to greenhouses
« on: May 13, 2012, 17:59 »
Hi folks.

Well as of today the old broken shed got removed from my garden and in it's place I'm going to buy a green house.  I get paid in 2 days so have tonight and tomorrow for research as I'm too impatient to wait any longer.

So I have a concrete base to fit a 6x8 on.  Do I want glass or poly carb etc?  Any green house advice would be good.

I have electric to the base and a willing sparky hubby, so what might I want to consider in my purchase regarding maybe heat, or ventilation?  I want to buy once so need to get it right.  I would hope to have delivered this week and up and sorted next Sunday, as it's the only day off my hubby has for a fortnight

I live in Cumbria, so we're usually a number of degrees cooler than the south coast, and the location is SE facing losing the sun about 3-4pm to the neighbours house.

I want to grow something this season, so what do you reckon is a starter crop(s) for this season considering I'm coming to it so late.  Also what should I start to think about for over winter as I imagine most of my work in the next few months will be getting ready for that given the time of year.

Would you recommend getting some small plants to grow on this summer instead of starting from seedlings as I'm late or are they not worth the money and I'm best just getting prepared?

I know a little about growing fruit and veg, but not a great deal and I don't know anything about growing in a green house but I'm very excited.  I have 1 & 2 year old girls too that I hope this will be a great experience for and also some chickens that arrived last week so plenty of good muck and some willing beaks too if I have surplus.

Really sorry for all the questions, but figured this was the best forum as the chicken ladies and gents have been amazing.  In return I offer pictures of how you've all helped me :)

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
Re: Newbie to greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:02 »
I got a small polly greenhouse as i was thinking of young childrens safety but what a job to put the windows in, it was the clear polly, looks good when done but struggled.
I used to have 2 glass ones on my old allotment, much better and i put them up on my own, but sadly ill health i had to give up allotment.
I use a fan heater for greenhouse in the winter but keep it away from water just in case.
As for growing things, do your chicks eat lettuce or greens?
Good luck with your new adventure, dont forget water supply to it, a water butt...
Reg
PS. I visited Cubria some years ago, fell down a hill side landed in some sheep muck, my wife laughted.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 13:15 »
Thanks. I was looking last night and I've found a poly one with 2 roof vents and rubber seals.  I think I'm going to go with that one, as after doing some searching I thought that would be better as the children get older.

So do you just think a could of plugs will do for heating and auto vents?

So what about the growing side of things as that is now the big concern for me.  Do you think I can get away with the seeds that say sow March-May as we are always a few weeks behind in the seasons and they'll be in the greenhouse.  I would love to have some summer crops, but as I say I don't know what.  I already have some strawberry plants doing really well outside, I'm quite established on the herbs front and have some leeks in a few pots

I do have a nice little cherry tom plant that's on the window sill and some sunflowers for the chucks and 2 pumbpkins that are just germinating, but thats it.  A friend has offered me some tom plants as she has a load.

I'm going to put a few trays of salad leaves in when it's set.

Can I put in any carrots, onions, garlic?

Would I be able to get any onions/garlic

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 15:20 »
Hi. You don't need a plug for your autovents... they work off a gas cylinder which you set to open at a certain temperature. I've got two plugs in my greenhouse - one for heating and one for heated propogator.

Onions, too late to start from seed now I think but you can buy plants from the garden centre. I think you might be too late for garlic now, but willing to be proved wrong!  :D

Carrots you can sow outside now or get them off to a quicker start in the greenhouse. Salad leaves, always a good idea.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 18:01 »
Am I likely to have better luck with carrots in a greenhouse, I can never grow them no matter what, but use loads of them. 

My greenhouse is now ordered and due to arrive tomorrow, by the time the payment is taken I will have been paid - I did say I was impatient. 

I thought I may be too late with onions and garlic.  Maybe I'll just stick to salad leaves, growing on what I have and then planning my next season and getting the water, heating, vents etc sorted.  The house I've ordered comes with guttering, so I just need down pipes and a water butt and I'm good to go.  I also have some fruit bushes to plant out, I've just moved my compost area so that needs screened off and I want to plant in front of the chicken run to make it look a bit better.  Not to mention putting in a path to the chickens cos I'm already sick of the mud and I think I'm going to buy a plum tree too.

Do you all have heating in your houses?  If so, when do you use it?  I hope this isn't a stupid question, but do you use it only in winter to give your seedlins a head start, or in a cold spring or over night etc?

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 22:27 »
Heating, i did not start putting any seeds in to late Feb and then put on the heater at night but on frost control, i did use an electric propergater as well.
Your soon get the hang of it all.

clip
What's better than 2 greenhouses ?

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2014, 13:57
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Some Help with greenhouses please

Started by Mark Barry on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2019, 20:59
by jezza
xx
Polycarbonate greenhouses - yay or nay?

Started by Casey76 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 16:28
by lazza
xx
What should I grow in each of my two greenhouses ?

Started by trogg on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 15:51
by trogg

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.