Goosegogs or Goosegobs???

• 39 Replies

madcat

Re: Goosegogs or Goosegobs???
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 14:58 »
Both parents raised in Burton on trent and goosegog crumble for pudding ....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Goldfinger

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 18:18 »

Just start one of those poll thingys, to end the argument.... ::) :tongue2: :lol:

It's not an argument, it's an intelligent discussion. ::) ::) ::)

Sorry, 'argument' was too strong a word.  ::). Would be nice to see in a poll though, how many people call them by which name....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 19:08 »
Just read the thread..it's obvious which name is most used  :D

wighty

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 20:25 »
I've been running a 'poll' in my shop today (what must my customers think!) and we here in the 'refined south' say Gooseberries, then Goosegogs and none mentioned Goosegobs.  That must surely decide the question!

Livinhope

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 20:42 »
I'm from the refined south and always refer to them as goosegogs.

solway cropper

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 22:59 »
I'm starting to feel a bit picked on for calling them goosegobs when I was a lad.

My mother, a west London girl who married a Yorkshireman, insisted that we called them gooseberries but then she got a bit panicky whenever we said owt, nowt and summat.

Livinhope

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 10:38 »
I'm starting to feel a bit picked on for calling them goosegobs when I was a lad.

My mother, a west London girl who married a Yorkshireman, insisted that we called them gooseberries but then she got a bit panicky whenever we said owt, nowt and summat.

If you want to call them goosegobs then you do so.  Regional differences  ::).

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 19:34 »

Ever so slightly off topic - my Mum was a Londoner who married a Yorkshireman. I grew up in Hertfordshire saying Yorkshire-isms in a southern accent which totally confused my teachers and friends! e.g. I got told off for writing "We took the dog a walk" - I didn't know it was supposed to be "took the dog FOR a walk" ........... also "I'll go to the foot of our stairs", "His eyes were like chapel 'at pegs", "he could run like skopididle"! I also used to assume a sing song yorkshire type of accent whenever I visited my Grandparents in Sheffield so that I didn't feel out of place when talking to my cousins. It must have sounded really weird.  :blink:

I do remember one occasion when I just didn't get the joke - my brother asked "where's the bin" and my grandfather remarked "I don't know lad, where 'as t' bin?"  ???

However, from memory gooseberries in Yorkshire were definitely goooooooooosegogs or even goooooooooooosebries!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 19:36 by chris23005 »

Ruby Red

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 20:13 »
My family are fond of quoting " Whoworry way ? Worryway issen ? Meaning " Was he with anyone or was he on his own ?" :tongue2:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 20:14 »
Tut..after all that my mum just got in phoned me to say all the goosegogs/gobs/bobs/berries have gone from her bush....
They was ready for picking when I gave it to her the other day....grrrrrrrrrrrrr  :mad:

bloomin birds!
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

xx
goosegogs

Started by Chiswickian on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 12:52
by Chiswickian
xx
Goosegogs

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 17:45
by surbie100
xx
Moved some Goosegogs

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 05:35
by Rangerkris
xx
Troublesome goosegogs

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 12:15
by DD.

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 34 queries.